• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

3.5L Duratec

arin

CEG'er
Can someone shed some light on what exactly has been preventing people from making this 3.5L big bore duratec before? I see nautilus performance is putting one out now.. I'm guessing worries of a cracked block, but wouldnt some reinforced sleeves help alot with that(ala what nautilus is doing obviously).. I'm pretty interested in trying to build my own 3.5+l duratec and get one of the faster naturally aspirated contours around hopefully :p

Some insight would be appreciated!

in this economy...people have better things to drop 4g's on :shrug:

Thats pretty much it. Most of the 3L swaps now are based on nessesity to keep the car on the road (as its easier to find a Low mile 3.0L). The added performance is just a plus :). Its much easier/faster to get a 3L from the Junk yard, then to get a 3.5 block and build it.

How ever if the 3.5 trips your trigger I most certainly look foward to your build topic :)

I am of the belief that it would be considerable cheaper to swap in a 3.5L engine from a newer model Ford then to try to build a 3.5L from a 3.0L. Sure it would be a lot of work as you would need to transfer everything (electronics being the major key) as well as modify the chassis to accept it, but still do-able. I'm of course already committed with my build otherwise I may have considered that route myself.

It's going to cost a lot more than that. Custom engine mounts, axle shafts, engine management, exhaust, intake, etc. I almost see it in the same boat as a RWD conversion. It would be a huge undertaking. Not worth it.

Jim, NPG now offers a block that is a 3.0L re-sleeved to 3.5L you can buy.

It would make more sense to buy a car with a 3.5L in it and mod that than it would be to put one in a Contour (NPG or the real 3.5L).

I don't know about that. I'm pretty sure a capable person could install the new 3.5L into a Contour for less then what a new car with a 3.5L would cost no problem.

I don't know about that. I'm pretty sure a capable person could install the new 3.5L into a Contour for less then what a new car with a 3.5L would cost no problem.

You'd probably push $5k (mainly engine cost) starting with a stock contour (custom exhaust, intake, drive by wire throttle setup, custom tune, wiring, engine, custom accessory brackets, maint. items, on and on...). Not to mention the enormous amount of hours you could spend making money doing something else. Sell the Contour for $3-5K. Use that total $8-10k and you can easily get a 3.5L car (nothing special but a 3.5L) Here is a Fusion Sport for $11k. (sold already I guess... sorry link is gone)

Why not just try the 3.5L AWD Ecoboost Ford Flex if you are going to go that far :cool: ? The 3.5L Flex Eco with a stage 4 turbo kit is hitting high 12's in the 1/4 mile :eek: :cool:.

I'm not a fan of the box look but that is true. :)

I do want to see someone stuff a 3.5L into a Contour. I just think it's going to be a big project.

Back