• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

200hp vs 200hp? Why swap to 3L?

Number aside, people typically go with the 3.0L over an SVT 2.5L due to cost, used 3.0L's are pretty cheap. Also the power difference is night and day, when I had my 2.5L I would rarely use 5th gear, only while on the highway, because of the lack of power at lower rpm's. My car can now keep up with my friends first gen Infiniti G35 coupe, which is not bad for a Ford Contour.

Are you stupid?

Are you stupid?

Csvt 2.5 200 FLYWHEEL .FRIGGEN HORSEPOWER
3.0l 200 WHEEL FRIGGEN HORSEPOWER
get it yet?

I see what he's saying. Stock for stock the CSVT and the Taurus's are rated at 200hp.

Its a difference in the tuning of the CSVTs compared to the Taurus's and Escapes. The CSVT's have to run on premium, where as the Tauru's and Escapes are tuned to run on 87.

Like said, the SVT makes 170ish WHP stock. With a 3L swapped in with the advanced tuning of the SVT computer the 3L makes more power. Even just a tune on an SVT will net you around 5-10whp at the absolute most, a fine tuned 3L in a CSVT will net around 195-200whp. With the same mods between a 2.5 and a 3.0, the 3.0 will make more power. The 3L has more displacement, better flowing valves, and therefore makes more power.

A. its becoming more economical to go with a 3L as they are easier to find with lower mileage
B. the SVT gets its Hp from Cams and more advance a better comparison would be the 2.5L from a non svt to the 3.0L
C. take a 2.5 SVT and a 3.0L with same mods on a Dyno should net you 30-45hp difference
D. Generally speaking the 3.0L has more torque at lower rpms, which makes the car generally better day to day.

The fact that a 3.0l can take out stock axels and diff should say more about the power output of the car. Not saying a stock svt cant just doesn't happen as offend ;)

my 3l numbers were also on a dyno pack set up that attached directly to the hubs, and the 2.5 was a mustang dyno so there is some difference there.

the difference really is night and day. on course my 2.5 drives around corners, and my 3L pulls around corners

the tq alone is worth the swap, even if you just leave the 3l stock with a tune. my car is totally different today than it was friday morning.
a bolt on and tuned svt 2.5 wont put down much more than 180whp, meanwhile a bolt on and tuned 3L will do 200 at a minimun and as high as 220.

Why is everyone dwelling on this question and arguing with him? He said himself the torque is enough for him to pursue putting a 3L in so he is going too. SO why are we still trying to convince him to switch to a 3L the decision was made already.

I'm all for someone trying to install a VVT 3L engine into a Contour. If I wasn't so far along into my build I would have tried that as well. I think the donor ECM is the way to go, but you'll still need the Contour ECM to drive the interior electronics. I look forward to seeing more on your build... so get it started already ;)

Back