• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

#2 spark plug blown out

jrichardson

Veteran CEG'er
I have a 98 zetec that decided it only needed 3 spark plugs this morning. I have gotten a repair kit but have run into a major snag. The heli-coil that comes with the kit sits at the top of the hole but that wont allow the spark plug to fully seat because of the unthreaded portion that the top of the plug. If I thread the heli-coil farther into the head to allow the sparkplug to go all the way down then i can't stake the coil in place. Does anyone have any ideas on how to remedy this?

So what was the fix? Not sure but aren't there different length heli-coils? Has the smoking stopped? I would assume that was from something just getting into the engine and burning off.

I got an autolite plug which is threaded all the way to the top. To correctly fix it you would need to purchase the timesert kit that adds the unthreaded section at the top of the hole, that kit is $400 dollars though. The smoking did stop, just a bunch of oil that fell in the cylinder from a leaking valve cover gasket.

Back