• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

1999 Ford Contour SVT subframe removal tip

Mr Bill

CEG'er
I just wanted to share some info on a recent clutch install. I removed the sub frame. I know, I could bring it out the top.

The back two bolts of subframe are connected to a captivated nut. The nut is located under each passenger and drivers carpet. Can't miss it. Cut out the rubber cover seal, then cut off the slim bars and put the crescent in to hold the nut so you can remove the bolt.

I bought the luk clutch which is the OEM from Pep boys. Not a good idea to buy over internet due to return cost if there is an issue and manufacturer told me your not sure what you are receiving unless you deal with a real distributor. Got 176000 out of first clutch and changed due to leakage and clutch was so worn it almost was going to damage flywheel.

Hope that helps. Not sure if this is the case on all contours.

You don't need to access the captive nuts unless they start spinning. Yes the rear bolts often cause problems in getting them out. Working them by hand and being patient they can be removed without causing the nut to spin.

Yes, your right. I just received one of those head cameras for a gift, They call it Hero. I have not sealed those openings yet but made the plate to go over it and will add pictures before I put it in. Thanks

Back