• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

1996 Contour cup holder?

HerronScott

CEG'er
Hi,

Does anyone have a better solution for a cup holder for a 1996 Contour (Sport MTX)? The original flip-out one is terrible....

Scott

Not reallly, the 98+ ones sit under the dash and taller containers don't fit and it diddn't grip the container tightly. Some have switched to the pre 98 . The cougar has a flip over style that is similar to the pre 98 and will fit the console. My 95 had the single hole one and the 96 I had had the double.

Bummer, ours came with the single. Was hoping someone had come up with something brilliant in the last 16 years. :)

Scott

I'm using the updated Pre-98 single large cup holder and I've never had a problem. I know they do wear out and can tilt over in a turn but using a new one, I haven't had a single spill in years.

The used one I originally installed wouldn't stay open in a turn. After one spill, I replaced it.

anything larger than a 12oz can with a lid sits snugly between the passenger seat and the center console. I used to do this for everything from 20oz bottles to large fast food cups and not once had a spill.

This post doesn't help the OP much, but for future info..

SVT cupholder with shallow rubber insert - doesn't hold cups tightly. Remove the insert to hold larger drinks.

DSC01000Small.jpg

DSC00999Small.jpg

98+ cupholder (non SVT) with deep rubber insert. Passenger side still has shallow insert due to console design.

DSC01001Small.jpg

DSC01004Small.jpg

98+ smoker's package (Best solution)

IMG_0246Small.jpg

IMG_0245Small.jpg

Ashtray holds fuses, screws and other odds/ends.

IMG_0244Small.jpg

I'm using a single din cup holder out of a early 90's taurus. I moved my stereo to the lower empty din and put the taurus cup holder in the din where my radio was located. It is very sturdy and will even hold one of those large styrophoam cups like you get from McDonalds. It may not be the best looking mod but it works very well. I also have a short shifter so if you have a standard shifter then it might get in the way.
Here is a random picture that I got from a google search. I don't have any pictures of how it looks in my car.

http://www.ioffer.com/i/1990-ford-taurus-radio-trim-cup-holder-coin-tray-6086070

Back