• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

1995 Contour automatic tranny problem

grimaceSE

New CEG'er
Hey! So I'm having a few problems with my car recently. First off, I have a 1995 Contour SE Duratec V6 with an automatic tranny. For the last couple of weeks, the car has been idling normal and then all of a sudden the idle will get really loopy and will always want to stall (it's stalled a few times because of this). Just recently however, I would be stopped at a light, and the car will rise in rpms and then drop to normal, once it drops it will make a slight banging noise and does this constantly whenever I am stopped. When I start to go forward, the car doesn't move and will rev up to about 2500 rpm, it will then make a loud banging noise - almost like I'm spinning tires - and then start to move, once I get it moving, it will rev up to 3000, back down to 1500 and then up to 2000 (roughly) before finally acting normal again. It has been progressively getting worse and I don't know what the problem is. If anyone has any ideas, please let me know!! Thanks in advance.. :)

Back