• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

BLKOUT2: Rebirth. PRT 2011 track car build thread.

I'm considering it on my own autox car. It sees a bit of street duty, but the dash is looking nasty thats why I've been contemplating it.

The removal of the splash guard is somthing else I was considering since on tight turns I have rubbing issues with them. Just wondering if you devised a plan to prevent damage.

I'm considering it on my own autox car. It sees a bit of street duty, but the dash is looking nasty thats why I've been contemplating it.

The removal of the splash guard is somthing else I was considering since on tight turns I have rubbing issues with them. Just wondering if you devised a plan to prevent damage.

if you get coilovers with a very aggressive spring rate, you can drop those ***ches to within a quarter inch of the liners and they will never contact... also the swaybars become useless (mine have all been removed entirely)... Josh there are still dents in my fenders from you demonstrating to your GF how stiff my suspension was. lol.

josh the rolled fenders are fantastic. You may want to chat with jagged about aggressive tire fitment as he's had some pretty gnarly rubber on his car but never had the benifit of rolled fenders. Concerning the hella flush fitment, that is going to be so baller but from a practical aspect, I found myself progressively raising the suspension higher and higher till I was near stock height as it really negatively impacted the handling of the car.

it looks like you have a good handling on the wiring. I know we've had this conversation before, but be really careful with your grounds. theres a few tricky areas.
when maximumly stripped interior wise, it should run to the steering column and one run back to the pump and tail lights.

your lucky to have the manual window/mirror option... I don't but this still might be helpful. if you have additional wires to run, I suggest using these mounts... it seems like they are there for that reason.

now if you really want to get funky. the engine bay harness can be divided into 2 seperate harnesses quite easily: core function and accessories (lights horns wipers, etc). the accessories can be run pretty easily through the fenders to their intended destinations. And the core harness can be taken out of the engine bay entirely. Heres what it looks like stripped of the accessories (which has 4 tap points) and the non-essentials (this will still run all stock interior stuff at this point so 30% of this can still be stripped out). Now rather than run it along the fender line, turn it sideways and run it inside the cabin along the firewall. the plug for the engine/ecu harness runs nicely into the engine bay through the hole you have for the HVAC lines. Now if you want to get real fancy, tap the ecu wires in before the plug and you've effectively removed 90% of the wires from the engine bay. [this will also give you a much more optimal route for a battery relocation and remove any criss crossing of battery wires through the engine bay and a proper battery kill switch]

also you may want to play with some ideas with the stock wiring harness that runs into the drivers door. rather than run a gauge pillar, run those wires into the door and build a mount directly on the door. It would give a much more discrete look and the added benifit that if you are at a dyno session, having the door open you can monitor the guages without having to be in the car.

I spent a lot of tonight working on prototyping the new rear LCA's. An old friend, some of CEG's older crew might know, came out too, so that was cool.

I'll start off tonight with the new toys I've purchased for the shop. I've had the welder for about 2 years now, just recently converted it to solid core wire and argon/co2. What a difference! Also picked up a new helmet. In addition a few months ago I bought a bench top lathe, and just recently received all new tooling. This is coming in handy for quite a few things as you'll see. Now, when i need a spacer, or adapter, I don't have to try and find it, I just make it. It's definitely speeding things up fabrication wise.

IMGP0482.jpg

IMGP0592.jpg

IMG_0502.jpg

First project with the lathe was some throttle body work. I used to offer optimized TBs and I plan to again, so I wanted to see just what this thing could do. Needless to say I'm impressed.

IMGP0444.jpg

IMGP0451.jpg

IMGP0455.jpg

Last edited:
So like I said I spent most of tonight working on the prototype arms. I ordered standard energy suspension 4-link bushings, and some tube steel and got to work...the bushings, shafts and sleeves all had to be machined to fit. In addition to this work. I'm considering making new shafts out of 6061.

IMGP0603.jpg

IMGP0606.jpg

IMGP0607.jpg

IMGP0609.jpg

In addition to this I wanted to showcase the modifications made to the rear sub frame I added some additional bracing at the LCA mounting points, and Thinkmoto upgraded the swaybar mounts some time ago.

IMGP0614.jpg

Stock, known for failing, especially with upgraded sway bars.

IMGP0503.jpg

New box style mounts

IMGP0615.jpg

IMGP0505.jpg

Bed time!

Last edited:

Great info as always Terry! I'll keep you posted when I take what will be my second dive into the wiring. I actually made a lot of progress on the old chassis, so I've got a great knowledge base to start with this time. Right now I'm focusing on the required work to get the car to paint, everything else can be handled as time allows.

Last edited:
????
i think you were a little tired when you posted this...haha..looks like you were replying to a PM.

where did you ge the lathe? I would love a little unit like that!

Last edited:
????
i think you were a little tired when you posted this...haha..looks like you were replying to a PM.

where did you ge the lathe? I would love a little unit like that!

I was replying to Bensenvill's (Terry) coments. I happened uppon the lather through a friend, all the tooling was ordered from littlemachineshop.com

ahh..missed his post...

lucky you for the lathe score! thanks for the site...i already found some stuff to order..haha

No pictorial update tonight, as I needed to take a night off from working on the car to get caught up at home. I did however do a little shopping after work. I picked up at 6061 for machining all the spacers for the car, the materials for the new rear tow hook and bought a couple feet of reinforced 4" flexible ducting for the HL intake setup. While I was at the race shop I grabbed the Dzus fasteners and weld on mounting plates I'll need for the rear bumper and Mirko.

I also picked up some new tools including a drill bit kit and hole saw kit.

See you all again tomorrow night!

awesome work the car is comming along great. Might need to get one of thos optimized throttle bodies but it may be the mustang one

Still waiting for something bigger, I know Josh is probably cooking up some crazy ass •••• if I know him at all...
Great work buddy!

Back