• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Is a 'switch blade'-like key possible?

m4gician

Hard-core CEG'er
I know because of electronic coding that this might not happen, but would having a switch blade like key made for our cars be easily done? I mean I have a contact (now) inside Denso which does a lot of the OEM manufacturing of all these switch blade like keys (volvo for one) with BMW, lexus and others being easily replicated. I didn't get a chance to ask, but would it be easily possible?

I know because of electronic coding that this might not happen, but would having a switch blade like key made for our cars be easily done? I mean I have a contact (now) inside Denso which does a lot of the OEM manufacturing of all these switch blade like keys (volvo for one) with BMW, lexus and others being easily replicated. I didn't get a chance to ask, but would it be easily possible?

Yes, if you replace the PATS system with an aftermarket alarm system. A relative of mine had to replace the alarm system in his Honda. The store just replaced the fob portion of the key and put the metal portion (key) into the new fob.

Edit. You will also have to replace the ignition lock cylinder for one which fits the switch blade style key.

Last edited:
well as long as the new switch blade key has a compatable anti theft chip/signal or it can be swapped all you would need is the key and the lock/ignition cylinders to make it would ...

well as long as the new switch blade key has a compatible anti theft chip/signal or it can be swapped all you would need is the key and the lock/ignition cylinders to make it work ...

LOL. I didn't even think of that. You the Man, BrApple. And to think, my signature says "Always do the cheap and easy ones first". :eek: :laugh:

well as long as the new switch blade key has a compatable anti theft chip/signal or it can be swapped all you would need is the key and the lock/ignition cylinders to make it would ...

LOL. I didn't even think of that. You the Man, BrApple. And to think, my signature says "Always do the cheap and easy ones first". :eek: :laugh:

that is because I have three pairs of keys I can use with my car but only one will start it :crazy: :laugh: well kinda, two on two different pcms

but seriously the PATS chip can be removed from the key and you should be able to swap it into another key, after all when you "program" the key to the computer it just reads the signal the key produces since the pats antenna is like an inductor and "powers" the key .. the key itself is passive ...

also I do recall some one once claiming they got the car to start with a mobil speed pass, but who know how close the real PATs key was ...

Speaking of PATS. Now, it was ALL automotive manufacturers that went to PATS in 1996, correct? My girlfriend has a '98 Corolla, and she swore up and down that she had a key cut by a local hardware store, that she could START the car with. I said that shouldn't be possible, and that the key should only be able to unlock the doors. Sure enough, that plain-jane key, started her car right up. And no, she doesn't have another PATS key on that ring, close to the hardware key that was in the ignition. How is that possible?

Mark

I am not sure if everyone started using it but I doubt it is on ever 96 plus car out there ... the zetec never had a pats system so I doubt that a Corolla would either

once you talk to your 'contact' and see if he'd be able to transfer the PATS chip, let us know if he can. also, let me know how much it is if he can do it. just plain curiosity.

Back