• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

97atx in a 98?

Figols

New CEG'er
I have a 98 2.0 that needs a tranny and I happan to have a few 96 & 97 atx's laying around. All of my interchange books and every one of my usual sources say that the 98 2.0 atx is a 98 only tranny. I could be wrong, but I thought I read some where on here that the trannys as a complete unit could be interchanged. I did a search, but came up with nothing. Anyone know anymore on this? Some books show the 95 atx as a 95 only tranny, but I've installed them in to 96-97 (and up to 98 V6 cars) with out any issues so I'm hopeing that this could be the same for the 98 2.0. Any input would be apreciated.
Thanks,
Al

CD4E Differences - http://www.contour.org/ubbthreads/s...er=666809&page=0&view=collapsed&sb=5&o=7&vc=1

This is part of my CD4E FAQ's from the old forums. But, for the most part, sensor wise - everything is the same for your swap. So long as it is taken from the same engine type. Yes, as you can see from the link above, there are some internal differences, but nothing that shouldn't keep you from the swap.

You may also notice that there is some overlaps in years... remember that the Contours CD4E has several year changes. 94-95(actually it should read 94.5-95); 98-98.5; 2000. Most of all these changes are internal, although there are a few electrical differences between 94.5 and 95, 97, then some of the 2000's.

Any other questions, feel free to ask.

Just to confirm your FAQ, you CAN install an earlier 2.0L tranny into 98 car. I swaped them out a few days ago and the 96 tranny is working 100% in the 98. Just keep a record that the tranny is from an earlier year incase it needs some internal service down the road.

Back