• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Tranny shifting hard from 1st to 2nd........

GNflyby

Be Gentle I'm New Here
Hi, I just purchased a 1995 Contour SE with 123,000 miles on it. It's automatic and it shifts hard from 1st to 2nd gear, all the other shifts are normal. Can someone please tell me if this is a simple repair or not. Thanks in advance

Hi, I just purchased a 1995 Contour SE with 123,000 miles on it. It's automatic and it shifts hard from 1st to 2nd gear, all the other shifts are normal. Can someone please tell me if this is a simple repair or not. Thanks in advance
Welcome.:) This is most probably what if known as "Bang Shift". Before you try making repairs to it, try changing the ATFluid first. Sometimes, that is all it takes to fix a ATX problem.
ATFluid change in "Duratec Maintenance Read First."
http://www.contour.org/ubbthreads/s...992476&page=0&view=collapsed&sb=5&o=7&fpart=1

If it is not a ATFluid, you have to determine if changing the Turbine Shaft Shift (TSS) Sensor is a repair you want to do yourself or send to shop. Links are provided for both "maintenance issues" .

Edit. TSS change
http://www.contour.org/ubbthreads/s...ber=257675&page=&view=&sb=5&o=&fpart=all&vc=1

and this
http://www.contour.org/ubbthreads/s...er=1030582&page=&view=&sb=5&o=&fpart=all&vc=1

Last edited:
yep, TSS change should fix this issue, and make the trannie shift much "Smarter" as well, it will start shifting at higher RPM in regular driving.

Thank you all for your help, I will take it to the mechanic Monday morning. Have a great weekend all.

Thank you all for your help, I will take it to the mechanic Monday morning. Have a great weekend all.

Make certain he uses the updated Ford part. If there are no problems, replacement of the sensor only takes 10-15 minutes. If the sensor has welded itself to the tranny case, all bets are off.

Steve

ATX 1-2 Bang Shift

ATX 1-2 Bang Shift

Welcome.:) This is most probably what if known as "Bang Shift". Before you try making repairs to it, try changing the ATFluid first. Sometimes, that is all it takes to fix a ATX problem.
ATFluid change in "Duratec Maintenance Read First."
http://www.contour.org/ubbthreads/s...992476&page=0&view=collapsed&sb=5&o=7&fpart=1

If it is not a ATFluid, you have to determine if changing the Turbine Shaft Shift (TSS) Sensor is a repair you want to do yourself or send to shop. Links are provided for both "maintenance issues" .

Edit. TSS change
http://www.contour.org/ubbthreads/s...ber=257675&page=&view=&sb=5&o=&fpart=all&vc=1

and this
http://www.contour.org/ubbthreads/s...er=1030582&page=&view=&sb=5&o=&fpart=all&vc=1

have a 1999 Contour SE, 2.0; 125.000 miles and I don't think the tranny fluid has ever been changed.

I have the same issue. Just before the transmission, shifts to second, the car shifts into second violently and you get a "BAM.”

After researching on this post, I found the tread on 1-2 Bang Shift. So, I went today to the dealer and bought the Turbine Speed Sensor - Part #: 1S7Z-7M101-KA.

Removing the old one was a bit of work. When replacing the new one, I read that you should tap it in with a block of wood or another hammer handle, place the object flush on the back of the sensor, and then gently tap the object with a hammer to push the new sensor into the sensor hole.

I did this to the point it stopped and the way the new TSS is designed, it seems that the black portion you have to tap on might just go through the other end and break. Not sure if any damage was done. I finally got it in.

Results:

Now I have the *BAM* hard shift from 2nd to 3rd. Even going onto the highway off the ramp, when I accelerate and it goes 2nd to 3rd, it shifts hard and I get a noise. This is discouraging.

Questions:

1. Can that tapping on the new TSS to install it cause damage? It does not appear to be but it was tough installing it.

2. Will changing the oil help this shifting issue and what type oil should I use? One thread suggests ATX fluid but the dealer said that would not work and suggested DEXRON-III MERCON?

3. How do I know if the TSS is working correctly? Since I still get a slight 1-2 Bang Shift, could the TSS be faulty perhaps?

Thanks

This is what the new TSS looks like:

ContourCD4ETurbineShaftSpeedSensor.jpg

Last edited:
It is possible you broke it, but if it looks good (as pictured), not likely. Did you try disconnecting the battery so the computer can re-learn? I used Mobil 1 Synthetic ATF. It is possible you have a bad engine mount.

Does the bang shifting happen under hard throttle?

Does the bang shifting happen under hard throttle?

IF so look at this attached tsbs

Attachments

• tsb98-23-10 mass airflow sensor rough shift.pdf
    10.6 KB · Views: 0
  • tsb98-13-11 harsh shift light throttle.pdf
    14.7 KB · Views: 0
  • tsb99-20-01 harsh shifting.pdf
    3.9 KB · Views: 0
I also had this problem. Turned out to be the MLPS (Manual Lever Position Sensor.) Sits on top of tranny and tells ECU what gear its in. Got a few from junkyard to make sure that was the problem and never happened since.

Ford Contour L4-122 2.0L DOHC SFI.
Manufactured: 10/98

Did the dealer give me the correct TSS? I received part number: 1S7Z-7M101-KA

TURBINE SHAFT SPEED (TSS) SENSOR SELECTION CHART

Part Number Stamped On TSS Part Description Vehicle Application Resistance Bolt Kit Part Number Original Equipment

F7RP-7M101-AA

Part Vendor is Delphi All black with steel bracket OEM TSS used for all CD4E vehicle applications 1994 to May, 2000 140-290 ohms N605770-S36 M6x1x12 mm No Kit Number

XS7P-7M101-AA

Part Vendor is Hi Stat Thick white plastic bracket with black connector OEM TSS used for all CD4E vehicle applications since May, 2000 625-1150 ohms W500213-S309 M6x1x16 mm No Kit Number Service Replacement

XS7P-7M101-AB

Part Vendor is Hi Stat Thick white plastic bracket with black connector Used on Production CD4E beginning November, 2001 Service Replacement for All Contour/Mystique All Escape and Cougar 1995 & newer 625-1150 ohms W500213-S309 M6x1x16 mm

1S7Z-7M101-KA
F7RP-7M101-AB

Part Vendor is Hi Stat Thick white plastic bracket with green connector Service Replacement for 1994-1997 Probe 550-950 ohms W500213-S309 M6x1x16 mm

F7RZ-7M101-KA

Last edited:
Since I replaced the TSS, I get the 1-2 bang shift all the time now. Before it was very intermittent.

Any more ideas?

bad trannie mounts? If its making a metallic sound like literally banging noises I would check for tears in your trannie mounts, it has been known to happen around here.

You arent in the woods until your O/D off light starts to flash.

Check your TSS

Check your TSS

If you are getting bang shifting after replacing the TSS, make certain that it is fully seated, if not it will not 'read' the speed of the turbine. If in doubt about the TSS just unplug it and see if the behaviour persists.

It also could be that you damaged it on installation as well.

Good luck

Hey guys,

My TSS was leaking and it was fully seated.

I took it out and reinstalled the old one. Although, the old TSS no longer has that flange that seats the TSS and now leaks a little.

Also, the new TSS washer is ruined. So, either way, I now have to fix a new TSS.

When I compare up both TSS's I noticed that the two washers do not align up. So, I may have been given the wrong one.

Last edited:
The dealer now tells me that the original Part Number Stamped On TSS: F7RP-7M101-AA supersedes to F7RZ-7M101-KA. And that that part number 1S7Z-7M101-KA which they gave me, was a catalog error.

Can someone concur before I order this part out of state?

I am already out $30 because I can't return 1S7Z-7M101-KA.

1999 Contour L4-122 2.0L DOHC SFI.

My Original part number: F7RP-7M101-AA
_____________________________________________________________________________________

TSB

Part Number Stamped On TSS:

F7RP-7M101-AA & F7RP-7M101-AB

OEM TSS used for all CD4E vehicle applications 1994 to May, 2000 supersedes to F7RZ-7M101-KA

XS7P-7M101-AA & XS7P-7M101-AB

OEM TSS used for all CD4E vehicle applications since May, 2000 supersedes to 1S7Z-7M101-KA

Last edited:
Can anyone concur that this is the correct TSS part number: F7RZ-7M101-KA for an original part number of F7RP-7M101-AA

1999 Contour L4-122 2.0L DOHC SFI.

Back