• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

The old whip

dairdevyld

Veteran CEG'er
Well here is my previous car before the CSVT. It's my 1989 Ford Probe GT. It had a 2.2L turbocharged and intercooled 4 cyl. I modded it slightly:eek: with an upgraded ported thunderbird hybrid turbo, Exedy Clutch, higher torque axles, 2.5 inch downpipe and exhaust, and a high flow cat. The last numbers I posted with her were 194 ft/lbs torque and 164 whp. Car was a torque monster and I loved here. I was still running stock boost which was just around 8psi. I could have easily hit over 220 ft/lbs of torque and right around 200whp with the manual boost controller and the custom fuel/boost cutoff chip I had but the tranny blew and the driverside window motor broke all in the dead of last winter.:cry: Rather the fix them I opted for my wonderful CSVT and have been regretting selling the probe for 700 bucks ever since. :nonono: Well enough with the reminiscing here are the pics.

wifey3.jpg

wifey2.jpg

1321140-R1-014-5A.jpg

wifey1.jpg

1321140-R1-010-3A.jpg

1321140-R1-004-0A.jpg

1321140-R1-002-00A.jpg

O yeah and the driverside of the car was keyed by some hater football player at my school who's mustang I completely romped on thats why no shots were taken of the left side.:mad: But here are the engine and interior pics.

turbo.jpg

enginepic1.jpg

frontseat.jpg

backseat.jpg

1321140-R1-008-2A.jpg

1321140-R1-006-1A.jpg

When I first got the SVT I thought it pulled harder. But I got into the probe after a month of driving the SVT and it was insane. It pulls ten times harder then my SVT does. I could literally throw people back in their seats when I floored it in second or third. Torque is amazing in those cars, and I miss it everytime I punch the SVT. I'm hoping a three liter will bring back those feelings though, :laugh: .

Helped an old g/f buy a white 89. Tq like a mofo. Had to keep a firm grip on the wheel when putting down the heavy. Adj. suspension was sweet too. She made a u turn and someone hit her and totalled it. Picked up a 5 speed 92 with the Vulcan not quite the same.

Last edited:
When I first got the SVT I thought it pulled harder. But I got into the probe after a month of driving the SVT and it was insane. It pulls ten times harder then my SVT does. I could literally throw people back in their seats when I floored it in second or third. Torque is amazing in those cars, and I miss it everytime I punch the SVT. I'm hoping a three liter will bring back those feelings though, :laugh: .

3L will definitely solve that problem. We'll take a ride in my car at the meet and not pack it like a clown car this time.

3L will definitely solve that problem. We'll take a ride in my car at the meet and not pack it like a clown car this time.

my gf's GLi pulls like a mother...at a family party i took my two cousins (both 200lb +) myself and my gf...the car wouldnt get out of its own way, haha, so i feel your pain tony

Saweet!! I def wanna feel the full effect of a 3 liter without the entourage. Can't wait til you get tuned too, then I'll really wanna ride. O I found out who beat you with the red eclipse. It was actually a 300whp built 420(non-turbo from the factory, GS). This kid in my club built it like two years ago and sold it last spring to some kid from plainville. Car's damn quick, but he said you put up quite a fight. Not bad for an SVT right.:p

Saweet!! I def wanna feel the full effect of a 3 liter without the entourage. Can't wait til you get tuned too, then I'll really wanna ride. O I found out who beat you with the red eclipse. It was actually a 300whp built 420(non-turbo from the factory, GS). This kid in my club built it like two years ago and sold it last spring to some kid from plainville. Car's damn quick, but he said you put up quite a fight. Not bad for an SVT right.:p

Yeah but the car had New Jersey plates. :shrug: We were side by side at first but then it launched like a bat outta hell. I'm going to say that was the turbo.

I guess we'll never know.

EDIT: Nevermind, just noticed that you said you talked to the kid. I guess it was him then. Yeah, I did put up a good fight, but riding on Blizzaks didn't exactly help my 1-2 shift. :crazy:

Last edited:

WORD..I remember at SZ when we were going to that place to eat, when we had just got there, man your car DEF. threw me back in my seat!! It was glorious :drool:

yes, it will, a lot. Trust me.

No I haven't. But my Probe was taking down stock mustang gt's, RSX's, wrx's, and every other fwd car except SRT-4's and some Cobalt SS's and Ion redlines. I never went to the track but I have no doubt it was a low 14 sec car. I pulled with my friends turbo Integra in first, second, and part of third and he was running a low 13's. Obviously this isn't a true measurement but the probe was pretty quick. They can easily be put into the 13's, but replacing broken parts costs too much. A new tranny would have put me well past 1000 dollars which isn't as big a deal for the SVT as it is for a car that's nearing 20 years old, isn't a classic, and has a blue book value of 1400 dollars. It's an easy comparison when you look at the numbers. Stock 98 SVT-160whp/160ft/lbs of torque /3200lbs----------------Modded 89 Probe GT Turbo-164whp/194ft/lbs of torque /2650lbs. The Probe was easily quicker but the SVT is definitely smoother in its delivery. Torque steer is not cool, fun, but not cool in an everyday driving sort of way.

Last edited:
No I haven't. But my Probe was taking down stock mustang gt's, RSX's, wrx's, and every other fwd car except SRT-4's and some Cobalt SS's and Ion redlines. I never went to the track but I have no doubt it was a low 14 sec car. I pulled with my friends turbo Integra in first, second, and part of third and he was running a low 13's. Obviously this isn't a true measurement but the probe was pretty quick. They can easily be put into the 13's, but replacing broken parts costs too much. A new tranny would have put me well past 1000 dollars which isn't as big a deal for the SVT as it is for a car that's nearing 20 years old, isn't a classic, and has a blue book value of 1400 dollars. It's an easy comparison when you look at the numbers. Stock 98 SVT-160whp/160ft/lbs of torque /3200lbs----------------Modded 89 Probe GT Turbo-164whp/194ft/lbs of torque /2650lbs. The Probe was easily quicker but the SVT is definitely smoother in its delivery. Torque steer is not cool, fun, but not cool in an everyday driving sort of way.

stock srt4's run low 14's...and running on a track is a VERY different experience, but with a turbo car im sure its very easily modded to run low 14's

Last edited:
Sorry daredevyld, I was replying to AliasJerk (focusing directly on the comment "Trust me.")

FWIW I used to have a '95 Probe GT and while that car was fun, it spent a LOT of time off the road than on due to this or that breaking. I actually never owned it in perfect condition; new things broke just days before repairs were performed on existing broken things. Contour repairs were definitely less expensive.

Have you driven both a 3L SVT and stock-turbo Probe GT to offer your opinion of the comparison?

incredibly. yes. Although it wasnt a Probe GT I drove, it was an early MX-6 which in essence is the same car.

Although the 3L SVT I drove wasnt JUST a 3L motor, it had a variance of a couple other mods, and the fact that it was a high compression Hybrid motor. I drove bill's SVT, which used to be Ryan's and I drove a variance of stock SVT's and you can just feel the huge difference between those two engines. it feels like a completely different animal when the 3L motor is in there.

My brother had a 93 PGT, which obviously is a different from the earlier models. But that car was absolutely incredible also, we called it the mustang eater, because it really could beat mustangs. Well, that is after my brother had put some time into modding it, headers, intake, exhaust you know mod after mod after mod.

Looks like you had a good runnin' ride there all things considered but I'm really glad that car didnt' actually replace the Mustang like everyone thought back in 88':rolleyes:

I've driven the 93+ probe GT's and the earlier turbo GT's and believe me if you've driven one you haven't driven the other. They are two completely different animals, especially modded. A 93 GT can't touch an earlier turbo version. If you look up stock numbers you'll see that the 89 probe GT was pretty much Ford's fastest fwd car ever built.

Back