• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

electric car.

I am at work so i dont have sound... But last i knew the Ariel Atom didnt have an electric motor.... I thought it had a super charged Honda SI type R engine or some badging like that.

Again dont have sound may have missed something....

Atom

Atom

My buddy here in Colorado Springs has the only gas powered ATOM in CO. It is a rocket ship for the road. His has a Chevy Colbolt SS motor with a stage 2 kit on it. 295hp and 1300lbs. I have no doubt one of the fastest vehicles in CO. If this dang snow would ever let up I could get pics ! There awesome. -B.

EV one is electric it appears

ya its a different company that basically converts it to a pure electric care... tesla.

it was basically made as a demonstration car to shore up investment money [which they were very successfull with], they have a commercial version coming out thanks to the help of lotus.

I've built a few EV vehicles for racing... the torque you can get out of electric motors is stupid :drool: :drool: :drool: but ya, nothing on that car isnt availible on the common market... but its expensive, a basic conversion will run you 25k+

I'd say a lot more than that.

the video mention 150,000 dollars for the EV.
The gas powered Atom goes for 35,000 pounds.. that is a difference of WAY more than 25K.. more like.. close to 100,000 dollars to convert it? what a waste. for a 0-60 of 3 seconds, WHICH the supercharged Atom already accomplishes.

Actually electric motors of higher caliber do make some impressive and actually fairly scary noises.

Now i'm impressed with the electric car, Don't get me wrong on this one. BUT I would like to put out few obivous things about that electric car.

1) I would love to see how it would handle a road course. somehow I don't think It would work as well as the other two...
2) hmm lightweight? Did anyone else notice the car was kinda missing a roof, doors, actually any type a shell you would need for normal driving??? That would beef up the little skiter pretty fast.
3) Got DOT approval? Thousands of dollars (also upping costs) go into getting DOT approval on cars.
4) On impact that car would probably crumble like a chinese high rise in an earthquake, and take you with it. As for the two you'd might live.

Its always easy to build a one off, just massively time requiring. But to build something that goes into a production line, that is skill.

Last edited:
Psst.. thanks for the post... but the Ariel Atom IS street legal, and DOT approved.

The Ariel Atom is a HUGE road course car. MASSIVE g's, and completely neutral handling. Watch the Top Gear episode on it for an in depth look at how much it crushed all others on the trial board.

The EV car is an electric conversion TO the ariel Atom.. and thus retains the DOT/street legal nature. as well as the handling, unless significant weight changes were made.

Read up on the car.. you'll be amazed at the performance.. period.. and you'll be wishing you could delete your post... ;) :D

How does someone not know about ariel atoms and make a post about cars like that?
It'd be like me acting like I'm an expert on space travel but I don't know what a space shuttle is.

Meh, maybe you don't deal with as many hippies as I do. I here way too much about how great electric cars are and how everyone will drive one in a few years to a decade...

And my bad, for me watching the video I just looked like some engineer made a frame and suspensions parts out of a shop and spend a wad of cash to make his own race car.

Even being DOT approved I still would rather not be in a crash with it! Or the rain. lol

I was only going what I saw in the video...I've never seen another video of it driving in a road coarse, and they canceled top gear before I saw alot of the episodes.

Not to be rude, but I don't go out of my way to see high end and exotic cars that I can't afford. I look after more of what people actually drive on the road everyday. Its just my style. I don't look at porsche when I know I couldn't afford a new vette. Its just my middle class mind set. I don't pine over things I'll never have. lol

... but I don't go out of my way to see high end and exotic cars that I can't afford. ..... I don't pine over things I'll never have. lol

What's wrong with you? :laugh:

We can dream, can't we? ;) But in all seriousness, they mention that the Tesla will be about $90k or so with maybe a "souped-down" 4 seater in the $60s in a few years. I think like PCs when it becomes a commodity and with battery prices going down, I can foresee electric cars (which can go maybe 300 miles in one charge) costing about $40k in the near future (maybe 5 to 10 years or so). I think all it takes is one person to start it and others will follow. :)

Edit. I was really excited about the Toyota Alessandro Volta and then the Concept Supra which was unveiled last week but the performance EVs take the cake. :)

Last edited:
Yeah, if someone can mass produce an electric street/performance/daily driving car that is practical for use then I'm sure you'll see some sales, if not alot.

But as of right now there are many many battery life span problems. Not to mention the simplistic electric rotor motor has complex programing and power handling. I cannot foresee any produced electric car being free of hiccups and issues just like any gas powered car has now.

And one thing I never see mentioned is how enviromentally friendly are the rechargable batteries? depending on composition, lithium ions and such are not eco friendly and need to be deposed of properly. If thousands of people are driving electric cars with 6-10 batteries on board (as opposed to one now) that is alot of waste disposal that can't go back into the ground!

It will interested no matter what happens, in the end!

I am still impressed with the performance of the car. I guess I was just sick of seeing how jumpy people get at electric cars. Like I said I deal with people who are kinda in a dead mindset that electric cars are going to be great, problem free, life changing thing, and it just annoys the hell out of me! lol

Atom

Atom

An Atom completed and delivered to COLO cost my buddy $46k. They are made in OR state. A nice corvette cost that much and the ATOM has way more power, style and SO very Unique.
Safety . . . Think of it as a motorcycle. You get hit, you get hurt, SO, dont get hit ! He has a helmet for it and yes it is street legal. -B.

I'm a science/engineering major. lol

really? that suprises me with the amount of gross misconceptions and poor assumptions you made in this thread.

seriously, you make me want to scream. and thats coming from someone who HAS their engineering degree.

Last edited:
Back