• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

MAF differences

getsum111

Yes I am a Pirate, 200 years too late.
I searched but found nothing definite. Will any V6 MAF work on my 99 SVT? Ford dealersaid they switched them in the middle of the year, but others think that any one would work as long as it is off a V6. I tend to trust CEG more than the dealership. Mine is acting up, and a fellow CEG'r is gonna loan me one (You ROCK Grant!;) ), but I want to make sure before we do the switch that it will be cool to try this.

from over on fco and ford

SVT
NAME/DESCRIPTION ENGINEERING NO. SERVICE NO.
SENSOR ASSY., (Mass Airflow) 97BB 12B579-AA F7RZ 12B579-AA

SE
NAME/DESCRIPTION ENGINEERING NO. SERVICE NO.
SENSOR ASSY., (Mass Airflow) 97BB 12B579-AA F7RZ 12B579-AA

Last edited:
All the v6 MAF's are the same. The only difference among them is the calibration between the standard v6 and the SVT v6

All the v6 MAF's are the same. The only difference among them is the calibration between the standard v6 and the SVT v6

nope, they are exactly the same ... look at the numbers that I posted above ... also I just ran my SE with a SVT PCM and that was the only change .... the car ran great ...

nope, they are exactly the same ... look at the numbers that I posted above ... also I just ran my SE with a SVT PCM and that was the only change .... the car ran great ...

wait so a svt pcm will work on a se with no problems??? don't you need to change out the injectors? if that is the case i want a svt pcm.

wait so a svt pcm will work on a se with no problems??? don't you need to change out the injectors? if that is the case i want a svt pcm.

yes I will be swapping out injectors as the original tester said he got lean codes after a while with the SVT PCM in his SE because of the difference in injector flow rate ...

also you can not just drop an old PCM into your car ... you need one that is compatable with your car because of the PATs system... I see you have a 99, if you have a return fuel system you should be able to use SVT PCM code SFG0, 1 or 2 .... I just tried a SFG2 PCM in my early 99 ... also you are best to find a PCM two programmed keys so that you can program your keys yourself otherwise you need to pay a dealer to do it .... but what you could also do is swap the chips between the keys ... I would go over to FCO and check it out, read the blogs also ... Also I should have a SFG2 PCM with one key for sale soon ...

yes I will be swapping out injectors as the original tester said he got lean codes after a while with the SVT PCM in his SE because of the difference in injector flow rate ...

also you can not just drop an old PCM into your car ... you need one that is compatable with your car because of the PATs system... I see you have a 99, if you have a return fuel system you should be able to use SVT PCM code SFG0, 1 or 2 .... I just tried a SFG2 PCM in my early 99 ... also you are best to find a PCM two programmed keys so that you can program your keys yourself otherwise you need to pay a dealer to do it .... but what you could also do is swap the chips between the keys ... I would go over to FCO and check it out, read the blogs also ... Also I should have a SFG2 PCM with one key for sale soon ...

born date of 9-99 non return fuel system. my pcm code us dar3. would your SFG2 would or is it for a return style??

born date of 9-99 non return fuel system. my pcm code us dar3. would your SFG2 would or is it for a return style??

SFGx series from my understanding is for return system cars only (98.5 to 99)... you would need to get a pcm from a late 99 with returnless or a 2k ... not really sure, best to go to FCO and ask about it ...

So Brian, what's the difference between the SGF0, SFG1, and SFG2. I'm so confused, and I used to think I understood my car????:shrug:

I am not really sure what the difference is, chances are they are variations of the same base PCM code ... from what I have read the SFGx series was in 98.5 to 99 SVTs ...

So Brian, the Dealership said if it's not my MAF causing the hesitation trouble, it is probably the PCM. Would it be BETTER to get the exact calibration code, or will any SFGx PCM work as well. Since you've switched so many, I'd trust you over teh Dealer.:cool:

Never heard of the PCM's going bad but I guess they could.

I talked to the dealer in my area about swapping the PCM's for me and recalibrating. They'd do it for about 2 hrs. labor or around $180. That included the PATs keys reprogram. I didn't think that was too bad. I found my SVT PCM on ebay last year for $100 (used of course).

T

So Brian, the Dealership said if it's not my MAF causing the hesitation trouble, it is probably the PCM. Would it be BETTER to get the exact calibration code, or will any SFGx PCM work as well. Since you've switched so many, I'd trust you over teh Dealer.:cool:

you most likely better off trying to match the pcm code ... but it would stand that the SFGx series would be interchangable, but i am not sure ... would have to look at engineer and part numbers ...

when I get the other one I have coming I will let you know if it works ... might have been this weekend but now I am in West Palm Beach for work and am not sure when I will be returning to try it this weekend ...

could still be the wiring harness ... didn't you say that last problem just fixed itself .... might try a different sent a spark plug wires just to make sure ...

Grant lent me a coil to try, but won't be able to put it on till tonight. If that's not it, I guess I'll try wires. If that's still not it, maybe PCM?:nonono: :cry:

I'm running a 1999 Cougar MAF those are the same also correct? when i find parts i use car-part.com and when i searched for air sensor it came up with cougar ones and i found one 10 mi from my house so i bought it... just checking if it's the same i'm almost positive it is.

Back