• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Diesel Contours??

We use a different blend of diesel across the pond (although that's changing soon). This and other factors mean that diesel cars in general are very rare compared to most parts of the world, and especially Europe. Very few cars that are diesel over there are available here, and the ones that are don't sell well.

Yeah, it really sucks. I read about the Duratorq engines. Great fuel economy and tons of power. :drool: :drool: :drool:

Now the oil companies have gotten greedy and have reduced the manufacture/import of deisel. It used to always be $0.30 cheaper a gallon than 87 octane unleaded. Now it's more expensive than premium. :blackeye:

BP

Yeah, it really sucks. I read about the Duratorq engines. Great fuel economy and tons of power. :drool: :drool: :drool:

Now the oil companies have gotten greedy and have reduced the manufacture/import of deisel. It used to always be $0.30 cheaper a gallon than 87 octane unleaded. Now it's more expensive than premium. :blackeye:

BP

Yea the TDCi's are fantastic engines. Teething troubles with flywheels and clutches on the mk3's and injector problems but there are loads TDCi's out there so it seems few and far between.

Word is (as i dont own or drive a mk3 oil burner) is that they roll out the Genk factory 10-15bhp more powerfull and that naturally translates to more torque.

the 2.0l TDCi's are easily tunable thanks to superchips to 150-160+ before other mods and the 2.2 TDCi's are able to push 190+ again before mods.

Well thanks for the answer guys, looks like my car will be a bit special to the CEG community, just a shame it will never be seen in person in the states.

jcth1

I was just checking out your pics. Are both the intake AND the exhaust on the back of the engine? It's funny to see a totally different engine in a familiar engine bay.

BP

I was just checking out your pics. Are both the intake AND the exhaust on the back of the engine? It's funny to see a totally different engine in a familiar engine bay.

BP

Yea i guess it can be weird seeing that setup lol. The car is a good car and with some more love and attention and some different styling changes and alot of american suspension tweeking i.e Rear Sway Bar - got a set from Pewtnerst24, Poly Roll Resistors and other bits and bobs it should be a very good mk2 Derv and probaly one of the best in the country.

jcth1

They never did a diesel Contour, it is a shame... But people in the states dont like diesel as they dont know its very economical. So because we dont have many diesel cars less of the fuel is imported. Here in michigan, around Saginaw gas is about 2.30 a gallon for regular, and 2.60 a gallon for diesel. I think the only car around here you can buy that is diesel is a Volkswagon, and even then they are giving up on selling those in the states anymore because nobody is buying them.

yea its a shame in a way as you yanks are missing out on some quality cars. Clarkson proved how good economically a v8 Oil burner Audi was on Top Gear.

jcth1

I remember that... Didnt he get like 800 miles on one take of diesel in a V8 Audi. He averaged something like... 40 MPG If I recall correctly.

I love top get :) I have to download it to watch the episodes though... We dont get BBC2 here... Well unless you get the super special Cable package

i always missed it and dowloaded it from a torrent site. Now i have sky ijust record it. You can always watch it at there homepage a couple days after its aired.

yea he averaged almost 40mpg and went from north london to edinbourgh and back on one tank.

jcth1

I'm doing preliminary research on possibly doing a TDCI swap in my SVT. I will post details as I learn more.

That would be a TON of work, I'd imagine... Probly requiring a complete subframe change...

I can guarantee from experience the 4 bolt lower control arms are interchangeable between Mondeo and Contour. So I'll guess the subframes are the same.

Oh yeah, btw, check out the new UK/Europe section!

They never did a diesel Contour, it is a shame... But people in the states dont like diesel as they dont know its very economical. So because we dont have many diesel cars less of the fuel is imported. Here in michigan, around Saginaw gas is about 2.30 a gallon for regular, and 2.60 a gallon for diesel. I think the only car around here you can buy that is diesel is a Volkswagon, and even then they are giving up on selling those in the states anymore because nobody is buying them.

Gasoline and Diesel are NOT imported. Oil is imported and then refined to make Gasoline, Diesel, Kerosine and motor oil. All of those are derivitives of OIL.

Back