• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Plug covered in oil..

guys you all need to chill out.

now the op said the oil isn't on top of the plug. ie its not on the threads of the plug. to the op is this correct?

if there is oil on the plug but its above the threads then its the valve cover gasket. but if the op is seeing burn oil on the plug threads and the tip of the plug then its something else.

op please confirm.

after that I would suggest a compression test and a leak down test. also how does the coolant look?

brapple's questions need to be answered before our 99% assumption is 100%. Compression test will tell you all you need to know.

ct?

but if the op is seeing burn oil on the plug threads and the tip of the plug then its something else.

It's Something else. Cylinder 1, 2, 3 are fine, Cylinder 4 compression was 85 psi, I started the car today (90 degree's) ran it on the by way for 20 minutes, Operated at normal temp. Once i came back home and let it idle, Temp started to raise to over 220...I shut it off. The bucking started after 10 minutes of drive time.

Coolant looks dirty.

from experience with my 97 zetec:

the front coolant hose off of the water pump clogs up really bad if the coolant system is not flushed often enough. my car blew 2 head gaskets before we found the problem (the first one was before i got it the second didnt actually blow but we took the head off to figure out why it was overheating) i would definatly get that checked out.

also the getting hotter after the car stops moving is an indication that your cooling fans may not be working properly.

i just got my zetec put back together (rebuilt) with 140k there was basically zero ring ridge and the old rings were not worn out much. also my valve seals seemed pretty good and intake valves were oil free.
only reason i rebuilt it is cause it was already out of the car and it had a bad lifter.

i would like to mention that if you do determine it to be a lower end problem the rod cap bolts or torque to yeild and you cannot re-use them and are between 20 and 30 dollars each (you need 8) so you would be much better off finding a junkyard engine to put in there.

I have this problem, and it is definitely oil inside the cylinder. There is no oil in the cylinder well or around the top of the spark plug. What was the consensus on this issue?

It's a 95 Mercury Mystique 5 speed.

Back