• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

CEL again......

Aussie Ford

Hard-core CEG'er
I have these codes:
P0172
System Too Rich - Bank No. 1.
P0175
System Too Rich - Bank No. 2.
P0305
Misfire Detected - Cylinder 5

I don't really have a clue about why, or what to do to correct them.

Thanks for the help,
AF

Getting a rich code on bank 1 and 2 mean you have a vacuum leak somewhere, it also can point to a faulty or dirty MAF, clean your MAF as a first step.

the Misfire might be related to the rich codes, too much fuel in the motor; but this is highly unlikely, you might just be ready to do new plugs and wires.

I did the maf cleaning in fact then I replaced it and cleaned it again..... you could eat off that sucker...... LOL so that only leaves a vacuum leak?

I did the maf cleaning in fact then I replaced it and cleaned it again..... you could eat off that sucker...... LOL so that only leaves a vacuum leak?

thats usually the cause of a rich code, start tracing your vacuum lines see if any are broken or rotted away, I had a buddy that had a rich code on his SE everything looked just fine under the hood, took off the IMRC cover and found the PCV hose coming from the front valve cover to the air intake had dry rotted in half. $5 of cut to fit hosing car was back in business.

Codes

Codes

I do not believe your problem is related to vacuum leak. Look at the following. It shows that the causes are from other sources. #1 is to high of fuel pressure. corrected I believe by changing fuel pressure regulator. #2 is leaking injector. This may be the case because you are getting a single misfire code. The MAF is listed but you have checked it out so I would eliminate that cause. Check it out and good luck.

FUEL SYSTEM MONITOR
Diagnostic Trouble Code Description Possible Causes
P0172 - System Too Rich (Bank 1) The Adaptive Fuel Strategy continuously monitors fuel delivery hardware. The code sets when the adaptive fuel tables reach a lean calibrated limit. Fuel System:
· Excessive fuel pressure
· Leaking/contaminated fuel injectors
· Vapor recovery system concern
Base Engine:
· Oil overfill
· Cam timing concern
· Low cylinder compression
· Excessive engine wear
Powertrain Control System:
· PCM concern
Induction System:
· MAF contamination

P0175 - System Too Rich (Bank 2) Same as DTC P0172, but Bank 2. See Possible Causes for DTC P0172

I might suggest a Upper and lower intake cleaning. During this process you can address the pressure regulator and the seals on the injectors. At that time you can make sure the PCV valve and hose are in good repair.

Last edited:
I suspect it is related to the misfire on cylinder 5. Check (test) ignition coilpack, spark plug and spark plug wire.

Gents Thank you for all the help......

I believe as most of you to try the easy thing first. I found #5 was missing due to a bad plug wire. Swapped that out and now with #5 alive it is running great again.:laugh:

But there is always a story.... before starting to actually dig into this I went to the JY to get another part and just happened to find a V6 so I grabbed #5 plug wire just in case. I think they charged me a $1 for it. When I got to doing the checks, well really that wasn't much I pulled the wire and it left part pf it in the hole...... when putting the "new" wire on it wouldn't fit on the plug..... Now I had just said to my buddy that the donor car wasn't in the jy due to #5 plug wire.... when it didn't go on I had to revise my statement....LOL We found the end of the old spark plug stuck in the end of the wire.

BTW not long ago I did the uim/lim cleaning and installed new gaskets.

When I pulled the IMRC I did check that PVC connection.

Regards,
AF

Back