• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

fuel pump?

elraido

I kant speel
Was just on my way to work this morning, when I heard a whining type sound coming from the back of the car as I was coming to a stop. Car died, and now it won't start again. It turns over just fine, but it won't actually fire and I don't think I hear the pump coming on at all even with the rear seat up exposing it. I do hear a whirring but I am almost sure it is the power antenea. Did my pump just die on me? Is there a certain type of pump I need with a 99 full 3.0L with the joeys fuel line mod?

check for fuel pressure at the fuel rail. it could be the pump failed but check the fuses and relays first.

what year is the car again? I would think a stock pump is more then enough for a 3L. however you can get the focus pump or a walbro pump depending on the fuel system.

check for fuel pressure at the fuel rail. it could be the pump failed but check the fuses and relays first.

what year is the car again? I would think a stock pump is more then enough for a 3L. however you can get the focus pump or a walbro pump depending on the fuel system.

The fuse for it is one under the dash, right? But if it was a fuse, what would cause it to go?

Car is a 99.....so is it returnless or return....vin says G, but does that matter at all with the 3.0L and joeys mod?

yes it does matter. return systems will just pump fuel around in a loop where as the returnless has the flow rate adjusted by the pcm.

thinking about it if you have the NPG fuel system adaptor then you have a return system. if you want a replacement pump you can get a walbro that will work that will pump more fuel then you need. but note they are very loud.

yes it does matter. return systems will just pump fuel around in a loop where as the returnless has the flow rate adjusted by the pcm.

thinking about it if you have the NPG fuel system adaptor then you have a return system. if you want a replacement pump you can get a walbro that will work that will pump more fuel then you need. but note they are very loud.

I am one broke SOB until friday and I need this fixed asap. :laugh: When I look at rockauto, there seems to be a big jump in price between the return and returnless. Mine would be the one listed as pre 5/99 then?

well that is the thing. you don't need the whole assembly, you can swap just the pump. the walbro pump runs about $100 on ebay. take alittle modification to install but otherwise its a drop in and just needs to be wired up.

assuming the fuel pump went bad.

well that is the thing. you don't need the whole assembly, you can swap just the pump. the walbro pump runs about $100 on ebay. take alittle modification to install but otherwise its a drop in and just needs to be wired up.

assuming the fuel pump went bad.

If it wasn't the pump, I don't know what else it would be besides a fuse. To get the pump out with out dropping the tank, do I need to take tin snips to the opening?

did you check the fuse ? In my book it is in the engine compartment fusebox. F14 15A. The relay for the pump is in the same fusebox R8 and it is brown.... Did you press the schrader valve to see if fuel sprayed out ? G.

Does Joeys fuel rail mod even work with a return system?
http://www.nautilusperformance.com/catalog/i29.html
That is what is confusing me I guess. It is for converting a returnless to a return....so what does that mean for the pump. :shrug:

yes it does. it means exactly what you have. a straight 3L is returnless and has one line on the fuel rail. your car has a return fuel system and therefore two fuel lines. the fuel rail mod converts the return to returnless so no fuel rail needs to be made.

so you need a pump, if its bad, that matches the fuel system that comes in the car. so if you have two fuel lines that run back to the fire wall you have a return fuel system.

yes it does. it means exactly what you have. a straight 3L is returnless and has one line on the fuel rail. your car has a return fuel system and therefore two fuel lines. the fuel rail mod converts the return to returnless so no fuel rail needs to be made.

so you need a pump, if its bad, that matches the fuel system that comes in the car. so if you have two fuel lines that run back to the fire wall you have a return fuel system.

checked the fuses, they looked good. Still no sound from the pump on start up. :cry:

It also kinda looks like it only has one nipple for attachment, cant tell if it would be for a return system or not :shrug:

I don't believe anyone has tried TRE before.

Does it look like it would work? I am looking on Rockauto as well, and some don't say what type they are...no build date or anything. :help: Damn you 99's for having both types of systems....even though I know what mine is now. They also mention terminal sizes, thin and thick. :help:

something else to check before you going removing the pump, check that the inertia fuel shutoff switch isnt tripped, its on the left side of the drivers foot well.

Back