• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

New Quaife NO Bearings?

hypnotic3650

New CEG'er
Hey, I just got a Quaife and it came with NO bearings or the Speedometer Gear. I can not find these bearings ANYWHERE! What did everyone else do? You would think if you're paying that much for a differential they could throw in 2 bearings and a 5 dollar plastic gear... PLEASE HELP!!!!

your paying for an aftermarket part why would you get stock items :confused:

you reuse your speedo gear as they are not available anymore iirc. bearings can be had from ford. I also think there is an install kit that comes with at least the shims that you need.

all ford parts. you have to properly shim it, or reuse the old ones at your own risk. this might be a job for a tranny shop since you already assumed you'd get bearings and a gear with a new diff ;)

do the shims go on the pinion gear or behind one of the bearings or the gear? I've made it this far...I have everything out of the tranny to clean the case of all the shavings theres no way in hell im gonna drag it into a shop now... I'm going to get the old busted up plastic bearing pulled off tomorrow so I can get the speedo gear and then I just need 2 bearings and these shims...

Wow. This is going to end in disaster. Do you know how to preload? Do you have MTX75 trans tools like the Rotunda?

You have to preload and shim the diff, and Rotunda is a brand of tool used for our specific vehicle..... The diff is not just "plug and play".

jeeeez. why is everything so complicated? I love a challenge though:laugh:

A friend of mine works at the local ford dealership and they have the tool and shims and everything i guess....There is still hope that the contizzle MIGHT move again....doubtful but its a possibility

funny-pictures-cat-has-an-idea-that-this-will-not-end-well.jpg

if u over shim it the bearings will burn up and ur car will satrt howling if they are tight and then they get hot and then all hell brakes lose if u leave them a bit loose not as bad but over time will start wearing the gears wierd and then u will get a 1940s non syncro sound as u drive the shims go under the bearing race in the mtx case if u dont have a dial indicator dont try it cause it will be pricy get a shop to do it get them to give u a waranty in writeing if they mess it up then ur all good

wow, thanks man, that was the best use of youtube ever

few questions though:

how do you know what size shim to order unless you tear your car apart and then put the trans half way back together before even ordering the parts?

and how do you press the speedo gear on? it's plastic, and hammering it on sounds risky

also, are the replacement cone bearings for the mtx metal caged like in the video? I dont like the idea of hammering on plastic, and I'd like to reduce the amount of cheapo plasticity in my tranny

also, they didn't mention anything about a final drive swap, is there a walk through for this? I know somebody who just swapped out the guts from a zetec, but this leaves only half of the spline engaged, and I feel this is probably not ok for me since it seems I'm one of the most abusive drivers on the planet.

The speedo gear can be pushed on by hand easily. I was also wondering about the shims... It sounds like you insert the new races then you test it then you have to take it all back apart to get it right....

well, its not the taking it all apart thats an issue for me, but the fact of having all the correct parts on hand ahead of time so there isn't a shipping delay issue with the functionality of the car.

the shims come in a kit that contains multiples of each size. you buy the kit before hand and then you will have any shims on hand that you may need.

Back