• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Locking Fuel Cap

I have a question regarding my locking fuel cap: I recently had my keyring stolen. I've replaced car key, etc., however, I lost the key to my locking fuel cap--yes, it was my only copy--and I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions on how to get the cap off so it can be replaced.

my gas cap key has a number on it but i dont know if the gas cap itself does. i think you would be able to get a replacement if you knew the number. as far as removal without the key, good luck, i would go look at mine but my car is gone for the week. :shrug:

my gas cap key has a number on it but i dont know if the gas cap itself does. i think you would be able to get a replacement if you knew the number. as far as removal without the key, good luck, i would go look at mine but my car is gone for the week. :shrug:

If it is a Stant brand gas cap then yes the numbers on the key and gas cap match. I would call Stant and inquire first. I've had a similar type lost key mailed to me for free from another manufacturer.

Thieves get them off with a pair of pliers so I dont see why thats not an option if you dont care about damaging the cap.

Here's the fix...

Here's the fix...

From an authoritative source, i.e., someone who found himself in a similar situation: Drill a hole on one side of the center flange/handle near the keyhole, then drive a nail--a wood screw might give you better "grab"--in the hole until it engages the lower part of the cap in the filler neck. [A locking fuel cap is composed of two parts--the exterior, locking handle and the interior, filler cap portion. Engaging the key locks the two together. This is also why simply drilling out the lock will not work, which was the first thing that popped into my head.] Allegedly this allows you to turn the cap as one piece without fear of damaging the filler neck.

Sounds reasonable, doesn't it? When it isn't so obscenely hot outside I'm going to give it a try.

UPDATE: Well, I finally got around to giving it a try. It worked like a charm, shockingly easy.

Last edited:
makes me wonder if its even worth it to use one then if its so easy to get off.

Worth the $10 it costs to keep the misbehaving little kids away. And others probably wouldn't mess with it just move on to the next car. But if somebody is really out to get you then yes not much protection.

It will keep some kids away from it but really all it takes is a little tug with an adjustable wrench and they pop off anyway.

Yeah, I certainly had mixed feelings about how easy it was to defeat the locking cap. It was nice to get it off without it becoming a nightmare but people should not delude themselves into thinking a locking fuel cap offers protection against anyone except a "honest criminal".

Back