• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Interior light issue

Redeemer

Veteran CEG'er
A friend of mine has a interesting problem, Ive gave em as much advice I could so, I thought I would post it here to see if you guys can think of anything I couldn't.

The overhead cabin light and the floor light on the passenger's side will not shut off. I checked everything I can think of but have been unable to rectify the problem. The overhead light will go off if you switch it to "Off" rather than "12 sec," but the floor light will not shut off at all, so I ended up just removing the bulb. I've checked all the pertinent fuses, and no dice, so I just wanted to see if you all had any ideas. Thanks in advance!

check the dimmer switch, later models have a dimmer switch that clicks everything on if you go all the way in one direction.

Sounds like a problem with one of the switches on the bottom of the A pillar that are pushed in when the front doors are shut... One may be broken or it could be a wiring issue... Something just popped into my mind though, and I think I read on here about someone else having this problem, and it was the cars central timing unit :shrug:

EDIT: Or it could be what Striker2 said :troutslap:

Check the Central Timer Unit. This is the square box on the other side of the Passenger Compartment Fuse box (left of steering wheel and next to left knee).

0900c152800a9032.jpg

Last edited:
Central Timer Module Self Test

Input Test

1. Enter vehicle, latch driver safety belt, close door.
2. Press and hold rear window defroster switch.
3. Turn ignition switch to RUN.
4. Release rear window defroster switch.
5. The central timer module will actuate the chime each time one of the following inputs is accurate:

l Driver safety belt, unlatch then relatch.

l Illuminated entry actuator switch, lift then release outside door handle without opening the door.

l Rear window defroster switch, press then release.

6. If module fails to respond as indicated, replace central timer module.

Output Test

1. Enter vehicle
2. Press and hold rear window defroster switch.
3. Turn ignition switch to RUN.
4. Release rear window defroster switch.
5. Move windshield wiper switch to intermittent position, first detent up from OFF.
6. Press and release defroster switch to actuate outputs.
7. Press and release defroster switch to deactivate outputs. Outputs will activate in this order:

(1) intermittent windshield wiper
(2) rear window defroster indicator
(3) interior lamps
(4) safety belt warning indicator

8. If module fails to activate functions as indicated, replace central timer module.

centraltimerunit centraltimermodule centraltimer ctutest

Back