• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Harder than it seems!

mosh

CEG'er
I gave it a shot with the 3.0L last week....exciting and excasperating!

I ran at PIR on an 1/8mile elimination night and they were kind enough to let me run a solo run to get a sense of a dial in. It was hot and the track had some kind goo on it they were using for burnouts...no water. It took a few seconds to get oriented with the staging lights, and I knew traction would be an issue so I revved just to about 2500rpm in anticipation of the start. When the 3rd yellow hit I must have side stepped the clutch too quickly as I instantly and without even a jerk broke traction! In fact for a second I thought I had popped into neutral..I shoved the shifter up into first and realized I was already there! I finally got going by shoving the clutch back in and letting off the gas...this all happened in a flash but just killed my time and concentration. Results of this disaster were:
60ft 3.094
RT .323
1/8th 10.990 @ 74.72mph

So I popped back in line and ran my elimination run using a dial in of 10.0 not knowing any more about my car's capability at this point but having renewed respect for the difficulty in getting traction. My second start was against a hopped up 1970s Nova with a 8.10 dial in so I got to start on my own. This time I just eased off the line and short shifted into 2nd, squealing big as I did. Still flustered by excitement and all I carried 2nd too high...with these cams I should shift at about 6700rpm or less but I carried it to 7500rpm, then popped into 3rd for the final push. At that point it's all over but the steering.

A little better result:

60 ft 2.420
RT .388
1/8th 9.738 @ 75.64mph

And of course was eliminated so that was it for the day.

Now I've got to keep trying this! I still have no clue what the car can do as my flubbing around seems to be the main event here. I have done several performance runs on actual asphalt and never had trouble hooking up like this.

Anyone getting over 80mph NA in the 1/8th?

My setup:

• 95 SE with Eibach/BAT Suspension
  • MTX with Torsen, SVT Clutch and Fidanza
  • 225/50/16 Goodyear Eagle GTH on E0s(great commuter tire for rainy Portland)
  • 2005 Taurus Motor untuned with SVT 19lb injectors
  • 65mm TB, MSDS Headers, Trubedz Y and 2.5 Magnaflow catback, 75mm Proflow MAF, Open Filter (No cold air yet), COP, Superchip

When I ran 14.3 @ 1/4 mile my 1/8 trap was 80+
Then I ran a 14.0 with 1/8 trap at 79.7
On my 13.5 run the 1/8 8.851 @ 76.2 and that was with 2.27 60ft

These were all on seperate occasions with different setups.

Which 65mm throttle body are you using on the taurus UIM?

The poly mounts help a lot with launches if you don't have them I would recommend them, you can control wheelspin much easier with them.

BTW I wouldn't take it over 7k with your setup since you would be falling out of the powerband.

Thanks for the response...I do have the front poly inserts and a later model aluminum stock rear mount in good shape.

My TB came off a Lincoln SOHC and has the SVT shaft installed. I do not use an IAC; I have idle set at 1000rpm to make day to day easier.

I would fill the rear mount as well, that should help you to get much more consistent launches.

I am assuming the lincoln sohc is the 4.6 v8? So same as a mustang TB?
Did you just adjust the idle with the stop screw and got it to just idle at 1000rpm?
Just out of curiosity, I guess as soon as you turn on the car it idles right at 1000rpm regarlless of IAT and coolant temps? Any hesitation or surging idle?

Same TB as a Mustang. I used the stop screw to increase idle, otherwise A/C and tight parking spots wanted to stall the motor without throttle input. Idle is solid and throttle response is instant..feel like an electric car driving around town...car starts to respond with a whisper of throttle. I'm using the 05 Taurus cams so the low end is strong which may make it more prone to easy wheel spin....Tricker says he gets rubber in 3rd.

I'd like to be able to run repetitive runs to get some practice, but test and tunes appear to be over for the year.

I don't understand why you only got one time run, then into eliminations. Every track I go to there are 3 times runs unless weather is a problem. Doesn't matter if I run the Contour or my dragster.

If that continues then dial slightly quick and when they get close, dump them as hard as possible. Let them break out. It is fun because these cars stop right now, and a faster car's closing rate makes it hard for them to judge you.

I have dialed in the 4.6x range with the dragster and raced 8 second cars before. It is a son of a gun to decide to take the stripe or dump, especially since I am traveling over 50 mph faster than they are ( I can run close to 150 mph in the 1/8th mile - they are 90 - 95 mph ). If they dump right at the finish it screws up my whole decision making process. If I know this upfront then I dial right on the number, otherwise I hold anywhere from .01 to .05.

Be creative when you dial, and drive the car. Nobody wins very often just leaving their foot on the floor. Dumping a faster car when you are holding .05 is just plain fun.

Back