• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Contour in an endurance race?

steelblueSE

Hard-core CEG'er
Do you guys think a Contour could survive a 24 hour endurance race. My friends and I are assembling a team for the July 2010 24 Hours of Lemons. The rules state the car can only use water for coolant and nothing else. The vehicle must be bought and prepped for less than $500(safety doesnt count). I figured a 95 v6 tour could be found under 500.

I believe there was a CSVT used in a similar race (maybe not, it may have been a "race across America" type race) but if iirc it did pretty well

I would choose a mtx as I don't think an atx would take the abuse . run at least 6 quarts or more of oil and pray the wiring doesn't short out:shrug:

Just don't let anyone hit you. I have a feeling the rear control arms would bend badly with very little car-car contact.

been meaning to post this discussion.... I think the cdw27 cars would be quite competitive for this and we're definitely starting to hit the price point (remember you can part out stuff to hit that final price point). 200hp @ 2600 pounds could be very interesting.

difficulty since so few (if any) have done it but I believe it also requires a roll cage and a fuel cell (which don't go against the cost totals).

I wouldn't worry too much about hits, just bring a few spare sets.

I'd gladly chip in if anyones serious about teaming up for a build.

been meaning to post this discussion.... I think the cdw27 cars would be quite competitive for this and we're definitely starting to hit the price point (remember you can part out stuff to hit that final price point). 200hp @ 2600 pounds could be very interesting.

difficulty since so few (if any) have done it but I believe it also requires a roll cage and a fuel cell (which don't go against the cost totals).

I wouldn't worry too much about hits, just bring a few spare sets.

I'd gladly chip in if anyones serious about teaming up for a build.
I'm seriously looking into the LeMons next year as well. Just have to see how work is looking. It requires a lot of expenditure on firesuits, roll cage etc.

if anybody is looking for deals on driver / fire suits let me know, a buddy of mine is a dealer, and often ends up with good, used suits for sale as well.

Well if the other 3 teammates agree, I think we will build the first LeMons Contour. I figured since no one has done this before people might want to donate to help make sure this is represented properly :laugh: We still have a year to plan for this but I am strongly leaning towards a Contour. Our team has 2-3 spots still open so if you are reliable and close to Toledo, PM me. With 6 people we estimate costs to be at 750-900 per player on the cautious side. It kind of sucks because you have to apply to get in and find out if you got in 10 weeks before the race. If we do get in I hope to ???? we don't get the people's curse.

By the looks of it, a v6 close to $500 would be an atx :blackeye:. The zetec lacks the testicular fortitude so that is like the plan b. Hopefully something will pop up in the next few months. The only worthwhile theme I can come up with is Conturd Motorsports and paint it all brown and let everyone underestimate till the flag drops. :shrug:

By the looks of it, a v6 close to $500 would be an atx :blackeye:. The zetec lacks the testicular fortitude so that is like the plan b. Hopefully something will pop up in the next few months. The only worthwhile theme I can come up with is Conturd Motorsports and paint it all brown and let everyone underestimate till the flag drops. :shrug:

check out local ebay listings...

right now on my local CL i see a 97 with a 2.5, mtx, and a little rust for $400, 130k on motor, 180k on body.

I believe there was a CSVT used in a similar race (maybe not, it may have been a "race across America" type race) but if iirc it did pretty well

I don't recall much, but I seem to remember some magazine drivers racing an SVT Contour test car in a 24 hour race for Ford.. I think it was a pre-98. The article was posted on the CEG years ago, but I can't find a reference to it.

I believe they had problems with wheel bearings.

Oh baby that would be cool. I will let you borrow my '95 3L for $500 and you bring it back on one piece. You break it, you fix it :ponder:

Back