• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Starter issues?

infratl

CEG'er
folks, i've been reading some posts here about starters but i can figure out if it actually is my starter that's bad. got a 98 2.5L svt. i tried to start the car today to go to work and i heard something that sounded like the starter was turning really fast, kinda like scraping metal, but the motor either wasn't turning or was turning very slowly, not fast enough to start.

i can hear the fuel pump when i turn the key. i eventually got it to start by letting the starter run for a bit till the motor was spinning enough to "catch/start".

at first i though the engine was flooded or didn't have enough fuel pressure. but after i managed to start it i drove 60 miles with no issues.

i haven't had a chance to look under the hood yet, i will in the morning. but i was wondering if you guys could give me some pointers or suggestions.

crap! :) any ideas what brand to get and/or where to buy and get a good deal?
one thing you might try since it sounds like it is hanging is put a big extention on it and smack it with a hammer a few times. its worked for me before lol. as far as getting a new one brand wise i have no idea just check around online for pricing or check on having yours rebuilt

Try to find a local distributor (i.e. someone who supplies garages) My local one gives a lifetime warranty on there starters.

Back