• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

recommendations for performance chip

Lorenzo650

New CEG'er
anyone have any recommendations for a performance chip for a 2000 svt contour? Has anyone had trouble with the "superchip"?

Most people will tell you to skip the chip and go with the handheld tuner instead.

I would and I have a (custom) chip in one car, xcal in the other. Both tuned from Nautilus :cool:

With the chip you have to worry about the connection getting dirty/corroded/loose which can cause funky problems. Not to mention I can't scan for codes (or datalog) in the obd2 port while the chip is in. Have to disable it. With an XCal you just flash it and forget it.

I used to run a Jet chip with no problems...before people began switching to custom tunes and the Xcal, lots of folks used Superchips with few issues...

If you're stock there isnt much point. The tune is for when you add parts like intake or exhaust and want the computer to know the mods are there so it can take advantage of them.

What exactly does a "flash from Nautilis" add to the car, if anything. And how much is it. My car's OEM so would a flash help me add any HP/Tourque/etc?

In my case, it's the only way my car will run, but I don't use Nautilus. They are a small company that offer some parts for our car as well as custom tuning. In your case, no it probably won't do too much for you for the $$$. A better hp/$ mod would be for you to install headers and a better y-pipe.

If you're stock there isnt much point. The tune is for when you add parts like intake or exhaust and want the computer to know the mods are there so it can take advantage of them.

That's what I thought. Have an intake & getting a custom exhaust, haven't decided the specifics. Def wanna do headers all the way back.

Thanks 4 the info...

Roughly, how much is a more basic flash 4 intake/exhaust?

Thanks

well do you have an SVT?

if so, install some bolt ons first, the SVT pcm is pretty solid for the stock engine.

if you have a normal contour, a good reflash will, for the most part, make it run like an SVT.

some data loggin or a dyno tune will definitely wring some power out, but best to spend this money post bolt ons.

even my base tune from NPG is pretty good, another $80 would have got me another 20hp +/-, but I'm a 05 3.0...

your right mr tex-mex, joey is an ass bag, go tell him that yourself... [/sarcasm]

I'm speaking from my personal experience and the fact that nobody here I can think of has had an issue with his/NPG's work.

but obviously, since you fought in the alamo, you know lots and lots about programing and electronics.

want to back your mouth up with graphs? or will george dub come to my door and show me himself? because folks from texas are obviously good with numbers....

*ehem, economy, ehem*

I have used Nautilus for a parts source and for tuning in the past.

No complaints from me. They have fantastic service and have always met or exceeded my expectations.

Not tossing a shameless plug, just wanted my personal experience with them to be known...since some 'name calling' has begun in this thread.

Best regards,

adam

I was being sarcastic, I love NPG, it's mister Tex over there that was insinuating their tunes wouldn't put numbers down.

thanks for the backup though.

15-20 is what people claim to gain from the performance tune. thats not me talking there. I only have the base tune, so I wouldn't call mine a hotrod at all. probably a little faster than a SVT still though...

Making a claim about other peoples claims isnt much better though. Some dyno slips showing those gains from the same mods and tune would trump everything.

tru, I wasn't trying to say that 100% of the time you will net exactly 20 hp from the performance 3.0 tune over the base 3.0 tune, it was only a guestimate from the results of others.

all of this is technically off topic though, since the op only has a 2.5, and we still havent heard back from him on whether he has an svt or not.

Back