• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Duratech 3.5 liter, 265 HP stock?

Bullpup

Be Gentle I'm New Here
Has any one heard of this? Ford motor company is unleashing a new motor in 2006 according to Wikipedia, it is called the 3.5 duratech cyclone. It will generally be available in the Ford 500, and the Lincoln MKZ. From Wikipedia it is said to make 265 HP on 87 octane, it is the same external size as the standard 3.0. It is supposed to have a 92.5 mm bore and 86.7 mm stroke. Any one else heard of this and who's willing to use my car for the guinnea pig swap?

Apparently you can already get the turbo/ supercharger for this engine.

I love my 2000 Contour sport, with this engine combo it will definately scream. Come one guys who's up for a wrench a thon?

Bullpup

Welcome to last year.

And this is not true?

It's not true?

It's not true?

Please enlighten me. Was the 3.5 engine sh#t canned? Or will it just not configure correctly? What do i have to do to get a CD manual?

Bullpup

The engine exists, but it's got only the name in common (OK, and the 60-degree V of the cylinders) with our Duratecs. Even if you could get one, since they're only just now coming out in a couple of Lincolns, it wouldn't work in our cars any more than a 5.4L V8 would.

Has any one heard of this? Ford motor company is unleashing a new motor in 2006 according to Wikipedia, it is called the 3.5 duratech cyclone. It will generally be available in the Ford 500, and the Lincoln MKZ. From Wikipedia it is said to make 265 HP on 87 octane, it is the same external size as the standard 3.0. It is supposed to have a 92.5 mm bore and 86.7 mm stroke. Any one else heard of this and who's willing to use my car for the guinnea pig swap?

I love my 2000 Contour sport, with this engine combo it will definately scream. Come one guys who's up for a wrench a thon?

Bullpup

ARE YOU F**KING KIDDING ME?!!?!?!? (seriously no one wants to flame him?)

Okay anyways all jokes aside, yes this engine has been in development for quite some time, it's already 3 to 5 years behind the pack as the japanese have had similar tech under their hoods already. This engine however was meant for the Ford Edge, MKZ, etc. This is the duratec 35 engine that you're inquiring about, it is similar to lets say the MDX engine/Pilot engine combo that honda utilizes throughout their lineup and Ford appears to be emulating that same approach. It's a great engine from the specs, although it is a little behind in terms of power as the G35 for example has a 306 3.5L. Now to put this thing into your Tour, you need A) expertise B) money C) Money d) time.

Anything could be done with enough money, although if your going to swap it in a contour/mystique, you might as well just convert it to rwd at the same time. Easily a $20K project.

Besides all the things that are against this "project", it would be fun to try it. But I agree with m4gician... everything that you need is....MONEY!

If a brand new 3.0 Duratec long block costs $2k in ebay, I think that the new "super" 3.5 Duratec engine will cost $20k from a Ford dealer.

Wait some years (5-10) and then this project will be affordable. (if you still want to do it) LOL:rolleyes:

Wait some years (5-10) and then this project will be affordable. (if you still want to do it) LOL:rolleyes:

Theres really no point of swapping this motor unless you convert to rwd. You figure 265 hp on a stock motor, your still going to have traction issues like most people do with the 3.0L at ~200 whp.

Even if you did decide to leave it as front wheel drive, your going to need a motor, complete redoing of the subframe to make this motor fit since its not a bolt in, standalone or transfer all the wiring ($2K+) over from the Edge, MKZ, etc which are both big money, if you decide to keep the mtx-75 your going to need a custom bellhousing (big $$$$), perhaps custom axles if you decide to use another trans, tuning, etc. Not saying it cant be done, but its still a big project and lots of money even 10 years from now. If this motor is going to be swapped, rwd is a must, especially with FI. ;)

Back