• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

question about 2000 3L

Powered by Saleen

New CEG'er
I got my 2000 3L today and the first thing i noticed is that the doesnt have the water pump on the cam like my 2.5 :shrug: Did I screw myself and get the wrong year engine or can i still use it? Iam going to port match it and use my SVT intakes.

2000 3Ls do not have the cam driven waterpump and cannot be used with our cars. I would suggest calling them back and trying to swap it out for an 01+

you will either have to use an electric water pump or go hybrid and use the SVT heads and cams. you wouldnt have to do any porting that way either.

yeah... if they won't take it back just hybrid it. i also have some 3L heads but i can't find all the cam caps :eek:uch:

well iam getting an 01 tomorrow. Iam still not sure if iam going to put my SVT cams in but there are tons of threads about that so no point in talking about it lol. Thanks guys, I should have my 188,888 mile SVT saved and running this month! I cant wait:laugh:

yea I've made the same mistake myself. I bought a 2000 and didn't have the cam driven water pump. however I believe it was a split port. which would of saved me time porting. my svt intake would of just bolted on. I got an 02 instead LKQ was cool with swapping it out. I wasn't gonna mess with an electric water pump.

I thought there was some reliability issue with the earlies because the engines were designed pre-lincoln LS so they didn't build them to ever see 7k RPMS? or is that bogus info?

well i got the 01 engine in and its purdy. Also got the plates so i can start porting. I also ordered a set of headers since its so much easier with the engine out of the car.

i almost got a 2000 engine and ran the water pump off the taurus engine, mounted where the AC used to be on my car. but i think i might put a supercharger there some day so i got an 05 motor and kept it real :D

Back