• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Mechanical banging and jerking

HotrodGN

Be Gentle I'm New Here
So I've tried searching for something similar and came up empty handed.

Here we go...
Wife leaves the other day and comes back complaining that her car is making a funny noise. I get in go around the block and HOLY S**T!....a little more than just a noise! Under medium acceleration in first or second(thats as far as I got) the thing starts banging and jerking kind of in the sense that a splined shaft would act if it was striped out and was grabbing and catching every couple of teeth. Could it be the cluster gear in the tranny? Or maybe a c/v shaft? It's a weird intermittent jerking under accel. only.(accompanied with a gut wrenching banging noise everytime it grabs and lets go) And I would say it's a rather quick pace. As in the car doesen't quit accelerating due to the jerking, but it does resemble a c/v shaft going out when you round a corner. Except this is happening going straight down the road. Anybody experienced anything like this?

Year, model, motor, trans, all that info would help.

Sounds like the diff blew some teeth out :eek:.

Year, model, motor, trans, all that info would help.

Sounds like the diff blew some teeth out :eek:.

only if the vibration is felt in the steering wheel.

its possible the trans mount bolt broke and the transmission is hitting the subframe.

please provide more information

more car information required, Video clips also make a world of difference if you have access to a digital camera.

'00 Tour SVT

Jacked the car up earlier...I think the diff. came apart. I'm laying under it spinning the driver side wheel and listening to it. I could hear stuff rattle around a little and then the passanger side stopped moving with the driver side. So I started going back the other way and the passanger wheel still didn't move. I moved it back in forth real quick until something moved in the diff. and then the passanger side moved with the driver side again for about half a rotation. The odd part is this thing has sat in the drive way for months and it was fine when it was parked. I bought my wife a TBSS, and the Tour never gets driven, then all of a sudden she takes the kids to school once and comes back like this. I've never seen one of these tranny's apart. Is there a pin that holds spider gears together that could have slipped out or something to that nature. And can I get this thing out in the drive way without pulling the entire motor.(Will the tranny come out the bottom?) It looks like the entire setup has to come out the top or drop the subframe. But being as I just moved here(Graham TX) all my tools and such are 300 miles away, with the exception of the essentials.

LOL....I just read my post and that looks like one big A$$ run on. LOL

Oh and this thing is a stocker...no mods to speak of.

You can take it out the drivers side wheel well. You would lower the subframe on the drivers side. Completely remove the drivers side subframe bolts and loosen the passenger side subframe bolts thus allowing the subframe to tilt.

There is more too it that can be found by searching the transaxel section. I have pulled one out using that method, but I reinstalled from above with the whole motor.

Back