• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

95 Ford Contour - Ignition Lock Problem

btrautman

CEG'er
Maybe someone has experience with this and can pinpoint the problem right off! When placing key in ignition and turning it the key will rotate completely around. I've noticed that if I push down on the key and turn it will sometimes operate correctly and start the car. What components would I need to replace to correct this?

Thanks,
Bob

so you are saying that the key will always turn on but it will not always turn all the way to the start possition?

if so the cylinder is failing. I had it happen to me. If I worked the key back and forth I could get it to turn to the start postion. Then it completely jambed up and I couldn't use the key to start the car anymore. I got a used lock set and repalced and its been fine since.

also all lock sets are the same and are interchangable. I swapped the ignition and door locks to a new set and left the trunk alone so that it is now a seperate key kinda like the pre98s.

If you insert the key and turn it, it will turn completly around continuously. If I take the key out, reinsert it and then press down while turning, it will start the car and snap back to initial position. To me it seems I may need to replace lock housing also which not looking forward to.

Bob

lock housing is built into the steering column.

also there is part of the mechanism that passes through the steering column to the switch. I would check those also as it seems they might have become disconnected.

Back