• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

weight of heads?

kcobra

Veteran CEG'er
just wondering if anyone know how much the heads on a 2.5 weigh with no valves or cams i am not looking for exact weight just a very educated guess

have a car I am tearing down for parts and I want to know if it is worth it to rip the heads off and sell them for scrap

Yes, it is worth it. Probably about 15-20lbs each with all the steel removed.

any other easily removable parts that are aluminum. I know the block and trans case are but i am doing this at my apartment so those are not going to be possible.

UIM, valve covers, water pump housing, timing cover, heads, lower intake manifold..... that is just about all the aluminum you can pull from the top.....

Too much work for me. Alum wasn't like it was last summer. I just take them there as breakage.

yeah. the heads will be worth more stripped, but its time consuming. last year i scrapped 2 2.5L blocks 4 heads and 2 oil pans and got like 60 bucks :(

Too much work for me. Alum wasn't like it was last summer.

^ that is very true. If you really want to make something on them, take the aluminum off and save it until scrap prices go back up......

My thread from September '08:
http://www.contour.org/ceg-vb/showthread.php?t=36280&highlight=recycling

blu_fuz said:
Recycling Prices by me:

Foundry steel = $100 pr/ton ($.05 pr/lb)
Clean aluminum = $.50 pr/lb
Aluminum/steel mix = $.04 pr/lb
Pre-cats/converters = $16 pr/piece

I didn't know what the returns were for the different types of metals but I got had BAD! Take your time and break down everything!

$8.04(212#)-2 heads with just the steel springs in them(lifters?) went as alm/stl mix
block with crank/rods/pistons still in went as alm/stl mix

$17.55(35#)-timing cover/1 valve cover/oil pump housing/x-over tube went as clean alum

$48(qty of 3)-cats

$8(160#)-steel

If you can't sell your parts scrap them, you might just get more for $ going that route.

I thought someone would like to know since there are so many parting out cars.

I've got a set of heads at my house. I'll measure them tonight I guess.

If you want, you can come take them when you scrap your other stuff.

Back