• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Upper & Lower Intake Duratech 2.5L

Vato2002

New CEG'er
I Found my vacuum leak seems to be the intake gaskets :cry: I was wondering if there is any thing special i need to know before i start this project i have my manual for the car seems to be pretty straight forward. Anything i should be aware of while im doing this project that the manual does not cover :shrug: just do not want to run into any surprises also where can i get the grommets & elbows for the top of the intake having a problem finding them on any of the parts sites :confused: are they dealer only? Any info appreciated will be starting this project in a couple of weeks.
Once again thanks for all the help:laugh:

Its pretty straight forward...maybe a 30 minute job tops. Just be careful when shifting the wiring harness and plastic hoses on the back of the UIM. Both can become brittle over time and crack.

And BTW, its duratec ;)

Well to start, if you have anything before 97, be careful of all of the wire harnesses and connectors if the wire insulation is beginning to fall off... You may want to take the time to clean carbon out of your upper and lower intake manifold while you have it all apart. Study the EGR valve and make sure its not all gunked up too. Inspect your PCV valve since it is in a hard spot to reach.. Though this is not a common problem, vacuum test your fuel regulator and make sure it holds well. Inspect all the vaccum lines. It would be a good idea to inspect the plugs and wires at this time as well. Good luck

To remove the two plastic hoses on top of the UIM, hold the "grommet" down with screwdriver, while gently sliding hose out. Rest is pretty straight forward.

Thanks for the info guys i had just done a tune up then cel came on fixed all the vacuum leaks but cel came back on narrowed it down to intake gaskets. Once again thanks for all the help & sorry if i posted under wrong thread.

To remove the two plastic hoses on top of the UIM, hold the "grommet" down with screwdriver, while gently sliding hose out. Rest is pretty straight forward.

So many ppl break those 2. I swear most of the cars I part out have broken bits that are hacked back together.

So many ppl break those 2. I swear most of the cars I part out have broken bits that are hacked back together.

Mine broke right off.....it seems the guy before super glued it together:blackeye:

Well anyways..nothing like plastic weld to fix it. That stuff works great and it feels just as strong as the last one. I sat around trying to bend it and put some stress on the cracked point. Hasn't broke again So i filled it with water and let it sit for a bit. NO leaks. So i was good to go..it cost me $8 at napa. :)

I have a few good ones of the pair if anyone has broken ones and would like nice looking ones.

Back