• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Powder Coating anyone?

The UIM I did turned out really nice but man was that hard work to get the powder in all the knooks and crannies. See mine doesn't have any "blow by" with the chrome showing through in the corners, that shiz is on there thick!

Yea that's just it I want to avoid the thickness. If I do that with the gold it will be extremely dark which is what I really don't want. What I have now is more of a compromise with some chrome showing through on the sides of the runners, but not much.

Another thing I thought about trying was to actually mix the chrome powder directly into the translucent top coat before I spray it. Not sure how that would turn out.

I have been wanting to do that too, but finding a part to just do it on is the hardest part :laugh:.... I do actually like that the chrome shines through next to the runners on your UIM, it is alright that way honestly.

I have been wanting to do that too, but finding a part to just do it on is the hardest part :laugh:.... I do actually like that the chrome shines through next to the runners on your UIM, it is alright that way honestly.

I think I'm going to try it on the metal top cover for my IMRC box. Since I have a spare.

Yea that's just it I want to avoid the thickness. If I do that with the gold it will be extremely dark which is what I really don't want. What I have now is more of a compromise with some chrome showing through on the sides of the runners, but not much.

Another thing I thought about trying was to actually mix the chrome powder directly into the translucent top coat before I spray it. Not sure how that would turn out.

You can mix the powders if the are the same type of powder, TGIC, Poly, etc....

I don't know that you will get the effect you are looking for as far as the red goes using this method though. The base coat is the driving forcre behind the color you achieve with transparents. A trans is a clear coat with a color mixed in.

What type of gun are you using? Are you sure you have a good ground to the part and to earth? Did you shoot the faraday areas first then the other surfaces?

The translucent colors are one of if not the hardest to get a good coating consistantly. You need to stay close to the powders recomended mil thickness or you could run into a chipping issue with the powder (as with all powders)

You need to stay close to the powders recomended mil thickness or you could run into a chipping issue with the powder (as with all powders)

That's why I don't do candy/translucents on engine parts. Too many valleys and pockets to put the final 2 coats of translucent on. It does get way too thick and is prone to crack and chip like Collin stated.

I understand. However how much abuse is a valve cover or intake going to see? There shouldn't be anything it should see that would allow it to chip... cracking maybe via engine vibration, but I'd even question that possibility to some extent. I guess time will tell.

Powdercoating is very durable though. thats why i went with it, all of the GM oil filters are powdered and i brake kleen the crap out of them. my valve covered are holding up perfect to the heat i induce to them...i have a feeling my Weapon-R coolant jug will be exploding here soon though. lol

IMGP4093.jpg

Powdercoating is very durable though. thats why i went with it, all of the GM oil filters are powdered and i brake kleen the crap out of them. my valve covered are holding up perfect to the heat i induce to them...i have a feeling my Weapon-R coolant jug will be exploding here soon though. lol

Yeah, ditch that WR tank. The walls are to thin so it balloons up and looks like it's going to explode when it's under pressure. You could have it cut open and then have some material added to strengthen it up in if you absolutely had to have a polished tank.

Just did these TrickFlow valve covers for Kyle's Mustang :drool:, they were originally matte black. Kinda wish TrickFlow made some parts for Contours...

Still working on his TrickFlow intake and Vortech intake pipe.

img00032200909061050.jpg

img00031200909061050.jpg

img00034200909061051.jpg

Thanks mike, those will look really nice on my stang once its back together. Finally get something to clean up the engine bay some.

Oh also, here is a pic of some of mikes other work that he did for me.
img00111j.jpg

Looks great. I don't really ever get the chance to do fun masking of lettering like that. Nice job.

Looks great. I don't really ever get the chance to do fun masking of lettering like that. Nice job.

Thank you sir. Yea it was a fun job that's for sure. Turned out really good. I can't wait to see it on the car.

Back