• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Where to get a remote starter?

Mywhip

Hard-core CEG'er
Well, for mothers day this year i thought i would actually get my mom something that she will use. The previous years i got her something that she messed with for a while, and just put it away, it never seeing light again. So i asked her what she wants this year..and she said a car starter. Which, she always complains about having to go out in the snow and start her truck, so it would be a grand investment. The only thing is where to get it?

I suggested hack shack (a local place that does car things like audio, tinting, etc) but she said that she would not let them touch her truck. So I have been searching around and have only found ziebart. There is one in Troy and Lima i could go to, so availability aint a problem there. She will just need something basic..so i was thinking the 2-300$ range.

Anyone know where else would be a good place? I am not looking for uncle fred's back yard, i want quality work done.

Even professionally installed remote starters will often create serious electrical issues with a car.

Don't get me started with remote car starters. On my truck, the idiot who installed my Viper791XV somehow managed to screw up my PCM to where my truck would only operate in 3rd and reverse. On my mother's car, her remote starter randomly turned her car on in the middle of the night and it ran until the next morning.

I mean, remote car starters are a nice thing, but it seems like every person I know that has an aftermarket one has had some problem with it eventually, so just be aware. I'm hoping the factory one on my G8 won't have any issues.

Bring it to me at bestbuy in sandusky. I will do it. What year and kind of truck is it? I will get you a price.

Im not into traveling that far >.>.

Its a 95, Ford Explorer.

Even professionally installed remote starters will often create serious electrical issues with a car.

I know, and i have told her. But she still wants one.

Don't get me started with remote car starters. On my truck, the idiot who installed my Viper791XV somehow managed to screw up my PCM to where my truck would only operate in 3rd and reverse. On my mother's car, her remote starter randomly turned her car on in the middle of the night and it ran until the next morning.

I mean, remote car starters are a nice thing, but it seems like every person I know that has an aftermarket one has had some problem with it eventually, so just be aware. I'm hoping the factory one on my G8 won't have any issues.

If i get her one, it will have a command on it to where if it has been running for a set amount of time (like 15 minutes) it will shut off. That way if she doesn't go out right away, its not wasting her gas.

If i get her one, it will have a command on it to where if it has been running for a set amount of time (like 15 minutes) it will shut off. That way if she doesn't go out right away, its not wasting her gas.

Thats how mine is. 15mins than it'll shut off unless you have the key in it. Mine can also open a sunroof, roll down the windows, start the defroster, it'll show you if someone broke your window to get in or if someones messing with it and a bunch of other stuff. Paid like $250 for it. Its a 2-way with a lcd remote

Thats how mine is. 15mins than it'll shut off unless you have the key in it. Mine can also open a sunroof, roll down the windows, start the defroster, it'll show you if someone broke your window to get in or if someones messing with it and a bunch of other stuff. Paid like $250 for it. Its a 2-way with a lcd remote
Damn nice.

Damn, thats a nice price for all them features! I am just looking for a simple thing though.

After having worked as an installer for remote starters, a couple tips. First, I'd recommend a good brand, pretty much anything from DEI (Viper, Python, Clifford, etc.) is pretty good. A Viper 130xv should be in your price range I'd think. I assume your mom would just want the basic stuff...the 130 is a 1 way remote system, can do lock/unlock, 1 aux. function plus start the car, has a 1000 ft range. They come preset to run for 12 minutes but can be set to run longer if you like. Also, a quality install is key. Many places (from what I've seen removing other units) use scotch lock style connectors which aren't ideal. We soldered all our connections. It takes a bit longer, but holds up better. Look around and don't be afraid to ask questions. Depending on the unit you get and the features, they sometimes tap into some pretty important systems, so doing your homework can payoff. That being said, a 95 Exploder should be a pretty basic install, especially on a basic model starter. If it has power locks and a power hatch release, the 130XV I mentioned earlier could be set up to start, lock, unlock and release the hatch. Anyway, good luck, hope you get a good unit for a good price!

Back