• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

A/C Troubleshooting

I have been looking over the forums and I was wondering if someone can post a simple point to point way of diagnosing A/C-Heater problems? I get neither heat nor A/C through the defroster and nothing through the dash. I am pretty sure the resistor by the passenger foot is shot. I am also pretty sure I have a vacuum leak somewhere. I need an Idiot's Guide lol. I don't have much time left to find and fix the problem(s).

if the resistor is shot then teh fan will not work.

if you get defroster only then its typically a vacuum supply problem to the hvac.

Last edited:
To clarify: I get air through the defroster vents only. I can get low - medium - high air through them. The heater will not heat, and the A/C will not cool. So that means that the blower motor is fine, correct? So I need to concentrate on vacuum lines and maybe the a/c blend door actuator right? I am going to take the dash and everything apart again tomorrow. I just got done with a coolant flush and fill. Is there only one line coming in to the cabin for vacuum? The one running in with the heater hoses? I managed to get under the car (no small feat considering my size lol) and saw that it was intact. I have read and printed out the Autozone guides regarding a/c components but any further info is appreciated.

Back