• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Running hotter after temp sending unit install

ConcepTrs913

Veteran CEG'er
After I installed the little gold temperature sending unit my car has been running hotter than normal, but it doesn't move from that position and doesn't overheat.

It looks like this...

Image0002.jpg

Any ideas? Is anything even wrong?

Are the cooling fans running at this point ? They should be going high speed at that high of a gage reading. Engine is running too hot, imo, make sure the coolaing system is filled properly, you don't have an air pocket.

By now the air pocket, if there was one, is gone since, the engine has cooled off. The electric fans (mounted on radiator) have a low and high speed, low speed, IIRC, turn on around 206 degrees, high at 226-230. Both fans run at the low or high speed together.
Is it still running hot?

ill have to check my car later because i dont have it right now im at school. i had to drive it a long time the other day while it was running hot and there were no problems at all that is why i am confused to see the temp so high.

get a scanner that can read the engine coolant temp and check where it is. could be that the needle is just off.

but if it doesn't move then the sensor itself could be faulty.

no once at temp the duratec temp guage doesn't normally move. but most don't read as high as your picture. again get a scanner and see what the temp really is.

Did you use teflon tape? I read somewhere not to use it, because it could keep the sensor from getting a good ground, and cause the needle to read higher.

where did you get it from? I bought one from advanced auto recently that reads higher than the old one, but not by that much.

Back