• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Short Shifter round 2

svt tourin

CEG'er
So my ebay short shifter broke after months of use (go figure) So now my car is stuck in reverse because that little ball snapped at the bottom. I purchased a B&M short shifter off of ceg and should be expecting it soon. My question is that when I had my ebay shifter it would sometimes grind in second. Is there anything I could look for while I have the shifter out to make sure this doesnt happen again. I am not an expert and dont know too much so any SPECIFIC advice would help greatly. I apreciate any advice. THANKS!

These cars seem to grind into 2nd sometimes even with the stock shifter so I doubt it was your short throw doing it. You could always check the shifter cable ends when you're putting the new shifter in for any obvious problems. I bet you're wishing you had welded the ball end to the shaft right about now.

it could be the syncrhros but it could be something else. there was a thread in the transaxle section talking all about the grind in 2nd.

It could be old worn out fluid as well. Whens the last time you threw some Royal Purple in there?

It seemed like the grinding started after the short shifter install but it might have happened a couple of times before that. I dunno if its the synchros because no matter how slow, fast, or carefull I shift it seems to still do it randomly. Could it have been from that ball being loose before it broke? Ill have to check the fluid I dont remember if we changed it when I had the spark plugs replaced or not. Ill have to check.

I'd say it's just the way you shift it. When I got my 3L it was grinding going into second all the time. After a few weeks, for some reason it just stopped, and it's never done it again, so I just attributed it to my having to learn what the car liked. It's not really so much that I started shifting slower or anything either. It just stopped. :shrug:

I have been driving the car for more than a year and it pretty much just started after i installed the shifter. the only reason I changed my driving is because it was doing it more frequently. With the stock shifter it might have happened a couple of times but not a noticeable problem that I remember.

:D get a small round file and widen the shifter base (the top part that holds the shifter down)

if you have an aluminum shifter they are bigger around than the stock steel shifter and the only way to make it shift into second or reverse is to just clean up the edge a little and make some room for it. otherwise you have to adjust the shift cables so its not centered and feels like the shifter is too far forward. i went through this on my 98 E0. i replaced the cables, the shift tower, and the shifter and the only way to make the aluminum bodied shifter work was to file the edge about 1/8" on every corner so it would settle into every gear all the way

That's actually what it sounds like my stock shifted does when it needs a wiggle to get into second or reverse sometimes.

:D get a small round file and widen the shifter base (the top part that holds the shifter down)

if you have an aluminum shifter they are bigger around than the stock steel shifter and the only way to make it shift into second or reverse is to just clean up the edge a little and make some room for it. otherwise you have to adjust the shift cables so its not centered and feels like the shifter is too far forward. i went through this on my 98 E0. i replaced the cables, the shift tower, and the shifter and the only way to make the aluminum bodied shifter work was to file the edge about 1/8" on every corner so it would settle into every gear all the way

I bought a B&M will I still have to file it since its not the cheap ebay shifter? and exactly what edges do I file. Because that sounds like my exact problem. THANKS!

shorter shift please.....

shorter shift please.....

so does anyone have any links to a good short shifter?? i put a fidanza short shifter on my 98 csvt its ok..... now i wanna put a short shifter for my 99csvt any suggestions on what brand has the shortest throw?? please paste a link........

I feel like the best short shifter is a stock one cut down, I have a B&M shifter in my SVT, its really nice, but I dont feel like the throws have gotten a lot shorter, what makes the "throws" shorter is the fact that the shifter doesnt sit as high up, so cutting down a stock shifter will have nearly the same effect.

If you would like, I have a stock SVT shifter I can send to you a little bit of cash that you can fiddle with, the rarely ever breaks on the stock shifter, and you can cut it down yourself and have new threads machined onto it.

Back