• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

knock sensor question

Ares

Veteran CEG'er
My 3L knock sensor came without the connector when I got the engine. Take a look.

03-28-09_1254.jpg

So it would do me no good to swap the knock sensor plug from the 3L harness and splice it onto my harness as people suggest because there's nothing to connect it to.

So I'm wondering if cutting the connector off my harness and just splicing the wires directly, sensor to harness, and not having any connectors at all would work just as well. And if so does it matter which sensor wire I splice to the haness wire since they're different colors. Has anyone done it this way?

splice the harness side off its just a two wire sensor. then bolt that back into the block like it came. all you need is the plug end of it to match the stock harness

since I don't have the plug on the knock sensor-don't know what happened to it-can I just wire it directly to the harness without a plug, using butt type wire connectors.

probably. or i can give you the stock plug to wire onto that sensor? think i have it laying around, not sure.

iirc the knock sensor connector is the same as the 3L fuel injector connector. you don't need the 3L harness so just find one on the harness that fits and splice into your wiring harness.

Took the knock sensor and wiring harness connector off of Matt's (dukeofsho) Escape 3L. He didn't need it at all because the one on his 2000 svt swaps right over to his 3L. Guess its not an issue for certain years. Now I'll just splice it on my harness and I'm set. Thanks duke, and everyone for the suggestions and offers.

yea I'm dealing with this issue myself, I think it would be easier to just splice my 3L harness to the 2.5 harness.

fyi, I don't even have a knock sensor on my car. the wiring isn't even there. and I am using a SVT pcm that should be looking for one and it isn't an issue.

fyi, I don't even have a knock sensor on my car. the wiring isn't even there. and I am using a SVT pcm that should be looking for one and it isn't an issue.

Same here on my Cougar no knock sensor wiring on stock harness so I'm not running one. Using a SVT PCM as well (SFG0).

Same here on my Cougar no knock sensor wiring on stock harness so I'm not running one. Using a SVT PCM as well (SFG0).

lmao, using the same code pcm myself. anyway we determined awhile ago that late 98s and most 99s, minus svts don't have knock sensors. and in our case with boost I heard that is better anyway. that way timing isn't pulled from a fake knock.

lmao, using the same code pcm myself. anyway we determined awhile ago that late 98s and most 99s, minus svts don't have knock sensors. and in our case with boost I heard that is better anyway. that way timing isn't pulled from a fake knock.

It's funny because if you call a dealer and ask about it they will tell you that all Cougars came with knock sensors. The wiring isn't there so it's not like they forgot to install one.

Took the knock sensor and wiring harness connector off of Matt's (dukeofsho) Escape 3L. He didn't need it at all because the one on his 2000 svt swaps right over to his 3L. Guess its not an issue for certain years. Now I'll just splice it on my harness and I'm set. Thanks duke, and everyone for the suggestions and offers.

My 2000 Had the same style connector as my 04 3L as well... My buddies 98 has the older style that you either need to splice the harness and use the newer style sensor or drill and tap the block to use the older sensor...

So if you did have any actual knock your computer could not make timing adjustments?

Makes one wonder if anybody really needs their knock sensor at all. I'm confused.

So if you did have any actual knock your computer could not make timing adjustments?

Makes one wonder if anybody really needs their knock sensor at all. I'm confused.

correct. if there is a knock the pcm can't pull timing. but you have to remember the knock sensor reacts to knock, so its happening already at that point ... it doesn't prevent knock. or at least that is how I understand the knock sensor works.

correct. if there is a knock the pcm can't pull timing. but you have to remember the knock sensor reacts to knock, so its happening already at that point ... it doesn't prevent knock. or at least that is how I understand the knock sensor works.

While this is true you're still better off to have it pull timing if there is a knock rather than not... Sure, it's better not to have any knock at all to prevent but if it did occur i'd rather have the PCM react late than not react at all...

Just my $.02

Back