• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

airbags

mdbsbl8

CEG'er
I am almost done repairing my csvt from an accident I had but I have run into an issue with the airbags. As you can see in the pictures the terminals for the airbags are similar the only difference is the little top clip part. The black one is from the car a 98 and the brown one is from a 99. My question is if I shave the little part off and connect them will it work? Everything else is the same minus that and I don’t want to try it and then have them go off. If they won’t work then I won’t plug them in and just install it in the car like that. Also I know I should get this done professionally but I am on a budget and can’t afford to pay a few thousand dollars on airbags. So please no comments on this is stupid you shouldn’t mess with the airbag system blah blah blah. I am content with driving around with no airbags and as I said if this doesn’t work I will install it just so I don’t have a hole in my steering wheel.

DSC00192-1.jpg

DSC00191circle-1.jpg

I would recommend that you get an airbag that matches. But I have heard of people removing the difference on the clip to male it work. Now it works as I. The airbag light does not come on. Will the airbag work right in an accident? I have no idea.

Strongly suggest a 98 bag for 98 car. They just make too many changes from year to year on that system.

what color wires are leading into each of them?

In the 99 one it’s a red one and a blue with white stripe one. In the 98 one a red one and a grey with orange stripe one. Yea I think it would be best to put a 98 one in. I guess I will just install it without connecting it till I can find a 98 one. I bought this one at a junk yard and I would prefer to use it since the color matches. I'll keep my eye out for a 98 one.

Back