• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

So I May Be Addicted

mixtape

CEG's Most Wanted
I think I may need to visit some CA (Contours Anonymous) groups in the near future. :rolleyes:

If you read my last post you know that I own 2 black Contours. A 96 SE and a 99 SVT.

1005081724aef2.jpg

But 2 is just not enough..

So I had to go ahead and get..

0228091421.jpg

0223091616.jpg

0228091355.jpg

0228091359.jpg

0228091417.jpg

A THIRD CONTOUR?!?! :shocked:

:nonono::laugh:

Now for the bad news.. It needs some transmission work I think. I brought it in to replace the motor mounts (thinking that was the only problem) and found out it needs some additional work. Apparently the transmission design was modified later to include "hardened" something. The previous owner was a young kid so I think it was badly treated. ugh. Miles read around 97,622. Attached is a ZIP file with an audio clip of what the mechanic said.

He also says he is having trouble locating parts since the car is so old and Ford is only required to keep parts for 10 years. Anyone know where I can find parts to fix what he is referring to?

Attachments

• 98 svt.zip
    48.7 KB · Views: 0
wow man, some work ahead of you to get that in decent looking shape, or will u decide to use it as a parts car for both contours?

wait everyone doesn't have three contour :shocked:

naw I would say that is normal. my neibors are getting a taste of things to come this past week as I have my parents 99 contour at my place. ...

and believe it or not but stock se duratec 5-spd :drool: love the sound, however quiet it is compared to my other cars.

i may be buying a third contour this week! this girl i know called me earlier tonight, telling me that her car died and there's oil all over the ground. cha ching!

Nice Paul! You're a glutton for punishment. LOL!
I can't hear the recording right now, I'll try again later.
There's three 'tours in my family too.

It sure does. I said "family" and she is my family.

Yep your an Addict :laugh:

Somebody needs to stop me! lol

wow man, some work ahead of you to get that in decent looking shape, or will u decide to use it as a parts car for both contours?

Oh tell me about it :blackeye:. The shop I brought it to says they are having trouble finding parts for this car. They say Ford only needs to keep parts in stock for 10 years. I wonder, will a 99 SVT or 00 SVT trans fit in the car? Would an SE trans fit up? I don't know if they were built the same as the SVT's trans was.

If I can't find parts to rebuild her I guess I may have to use it as a parts car. Though the thought of killing an SVT just seems too wrong :shrug:.

wait everyone doesn't have three contour :shocked:

naw I would say that is normal. my neibors are getting a taste of things to come this past week as I have my parents 99 contour at my place. ...

and believe it or not but stock se duratec 5-spd :drool: love the sound, however quiet it is compared to my other cars.

Haha but at least you have some variety. Mine are all 5 speeds, v6, and black :laugh:!

The 96 se is actually not stock. It has MSDS headers, high-flow cat and y-pipe, SVT cat-back, and Thrush glass pack. Not quite the quiet stock se sound anymore :drool::laugh:.
i may be buying a third contour this week! this girl i know called me earlier tonight, telling me that her car died and there's oil all over the ground. cha ching!

Prepare to constantly be busy now :rolleyes: lol.

Nice Paul! You're a glutton for punishment. LOL!
I can't hear the recording right now, I'll try again later.
There's three 'tours in my family too.

lol I know! What is wrong with me! haha.
I'm hoping to have the 99 as my "nice weather summer car."
The 98 as my daily driver since the 96 is about to need an engine any day now.
And the 96 will rest until I can afford a 3L.

Well I hope the parts are still out there to rebuild the 98. The 96 needs a break. It's worked hard.

The recording didn't play? It should just be a standard MP3 in a compressed ZIP file. Let me know if it doesn't work and I can find another way to post it :blackeye:.

all post 98 V6 mtxs including up to the 2002 cougar are interchangable. the only difference is the 2k plus units only take like 2.1 qts of fluid where the older one take near 3 qts.

The 96 se is actually not stock. It has MSDS headers, high-flow cat and y-pipe, SVT cat-back, and Thrush glass pack. Not quite the quiet stock se sound anymore :drool::laugh:.

Don't worry, I have another "donut gasket" and it will actually fit your car this time. LOL!
Remember that issue when we did your headers?

lol I know! What is wrong with me! haha.
I'm hoping to have the 99 as my "nice weather summer car."
The 98 as my daily driver since the 96 is about to need an engine any day now.
And the 96 will rest until I can afford a 3L.

Well I hope the parts are still out there to rebuild the 98. The 96 needs a break. It's worked hard.

The recording didn't play? It should just be a standard MP3 in a compressed ZIP file. Let me know if it doesn't work and I can find another way to post it :blackeye:.

The engine is finally giving up in the 96? :( She does deserves a break.
You're on your own changing out those headers. ;) It'll be easy when you have both engines out though.

It played but the sound was so low that I couldn't hear it. I had some CEG'ers over and the radio playing in the garage when I tried to listen to it. I'll try again in a bit.

What ever gave you that idea? :ponder:

:laugh:

Sounds?

Sounds?

yanked from [BrApple;623976]...
The 96 se is actually not stock. It has MSDS headers, high-flow cat and y-pipe, SVT cat-back, and Thrush glass pack. Not quite the quiet stock se sound anymore .

How does that sound compared to a CSVT?

Kimmyskunk

Last edited by a moderator:
It sounds nice. It sounds just as good as the SVT, if not a bit better. It has a bit more of a "rumble" due to the glass pack. My daughter has the same set up on her SE.
I miss my old exhaust set up. :(

all post 98 V6 mtxs including up to the 2002 cougar are interchangable. the only difference is the 2k plus units only take like 2.1 qts of fluid where the older one take near 3 qts.

I think you've got that backwards. Older ones are like 2.1 quarts and newer ones are 2.8 qts. My 2000 just took almost 3 quarts of RP the other day.

I think you've got that backwards. Older ones are like 2.1 quarts and newer ones are 2.8 qts. My 2000 just took almost 3 quarts of RP the other day.

nope the newer mtx were revised and the amount of fluid needed was decreased. now if you fill the newer one while the car is in the air you can get near 3 qts in it.

don't forget there is no set way to figure out what level mtx a car has. some "newer" parts where run early in production and some "older" parts run late in production.

Back