• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

rear end wagging

reddired

Veteran CEG'er
what up fellers....
just bought a 96 SE and i feels like my rear wags on curves on the freeway.
i did a little test:
60mph swerved right to left..(within lane) and if felt like my rear was kinda gliding side to side as the wheels stayed planted to the road.

the car has a trailer hitch and the guy i bought it from did mentioned that he pulled a fifth wheel to AZ so I'm not sure if this broke something?

I do hear a little rattling (knocking) from the rear when i go over bumps.

i'm not too familiar with suspensions so I'm kinda guess rear sway bar??:shrug:

help........

a fifth wheel with a Contour :shrug: but ya probably broken sway bar and or links or broken springs

yeah... idk how he got a 5th wheel on a tour. by dads f-250 cant even pull a 5th wheel... at the moment. will be ready in about a week after we get the proper hitch.

anyways, i would recommend replacing the suspension. good reason for an upgrade i guess.

i know i know... dont be hating on my skills... but is this what happened?

Maze__Roy___Sharon_73_Ranchero_GT_2.jpg

hah.. yeah you could say something like that. i saw it in Aspin last night. i flew there for fun. and saw it... so you know. had to snap a pic

*pulls out gun*

FREEZE HIJACKERS! GIVE ME MY THREAD BACK!!:laugh:

the tour was not a "tow behind car"....:nonono:
the guy literally pulled a little camper with the tour.
i think maybe they call them
"runabouts?"
"fifth wheels?"
"campers?"

i don't know...........its a small old camper that you pull around......but not a pop up.

nonetheless, the springs are ok.......as are the rear struts. gotta double check the front struts.

I really believe the rear sway bar.

the first link is what is most often called a fifth wheel
the second link is for CRGkart44 ahahahahaha:laugh:

Attachments

• fifth wheel.jpg
    fifth wheel.jpg
    88.5 KB · Views: 0
  • a_fifthwheel-730161.jpg
    a_fifthwheel-730161.jpg
    79.6 KB · Views: 0
It could be your trailing arm, I had one that got bent by a shop and it did the same thing, I replaced it and good to go.

It could be your trailing arm, I had one that got bent by a shop and it did the same thing, I replaced it and good to go.
Best advice I can give you is get under the car and see for yourself. Put the rear end of the car up and start tugging on things. Start with the tires to check wheel bearings, work your way back to the strut assembly, trailing arms, and two lower control arms. Nothing should really move that much at all. Any rotten bushings or broken parts will be plainly visible. We can speculate until we're blue in the face, but there's a lot of possibilities. Get down there and check it out before it goes from bad to worse!

~Mike~

Best advice I can give you is get under the car and see for yourself. Put the rear end of the car up and start tugging on things. Start with the tires to check wheel bearings, work your way back to the strut assembly, trailing arms, and two lower control arms. Nothing should really move that much at all. Any rotten bushings or broken parts will be plainly visible. We can speculate until we're blue in the face, but there's a lot of possibilities. Get down there and check it out before it goes from bad to worse!

~Mike~
and take a camera

*pulls out gun*

FREEZE HIJACKERS! GIVE ME MY THREAD BACK!!:laugh:

Sorry :cry:

the first link is what is most often called a fifth wheel
the second link is for CRGkart44 ahahahahaha:laugh:

i love that second link. i saw that when i was looking for a good 5th wheel for the Contero. I ride bikes with my High school photo teacher. he owns a farm and has a bunch of 1920's and 30's trucks that he acctually works with. those things can haul a :censored::censored::censored::censored: ton of weight.

as for the rear end, if you honestly dont know the problem, take it to a shop. or like bule said, post some "GOOD" pics. with a bad suspension problem like this, youre always running the risk of losing control at any time.

~Mike~

great advice..............one small problem.................well two..........

1. 8" of snow
2. single digit temperture

once we crack 35 degrees, i will get under there but its a little cold right now.:eek:

hopefully within the next 2 weeks or so, I can get under there

great advice..............one small problem.................well two..........

1. 8" of snow
2. single digit temperture

once we crack 35 degrees, i will get under there but its a little cold right now.:eek:

hopefully within the next 2 weeks or so, I can get under there

You woman, grab your sack and get under there,hehehehehe dont make me leprechaun jump you:laugh: You know how hard core I am:cool:

Back