• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

i officially hate snow

alexzeroo

CEG'er
we had our first two inches of snow this morning didn't think much about it until i left for work this morning. they didn't clean the streets that good and there was slush everywhere, i had a bad feeling about going to work so i was thinking about calling in but my stupid a@@ didn't.
so i jump on 190, doing about 45 when all of a sudden i hit some slush, my rear end kicks out, i spin out of control ended from the left lane in to the brake down lane hitting the barrier with my driver side, my rear bumper, front fender, front bumper, headlight and grill are busted.
a state cop pulls up comes up to me asking what happened and i told him. his next question is have u been drinking? WHAT? it's 8:45 am and im going to work, no i haven been drinking. his response "ohhh my nose must be screwed up"
anyway he stops traffic and lets me go. on the way back to my house i noticed my steering is all sorts of screwed up very hard to keep it going strait.
well u guys think it's over ?

NO

called my insurance found out that i don't have collision. so they cant do anything for me. i have to pay for everything.
perfect freaking timing rite before x-mass.

1-1.jpg

2-1.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
as long as the unibody is straight then it sounds like it all could be cosmetic damage. the steering being off is most likely because the control arm, strut, knuckle or tie rod or all where bent. I suppose a rear control arm being bent would also cause it not to drive straight.

as long as the unibody is straight then it sounds like it all could be cosmetic damage. the steering being off is most likely because the control arm, strut, knuckle or tie rod or all where bent. I suppose a rear control arm being bent would also cause it not to drive straight.

It also could have jarred the front end out of alignment w/out any major damage. Hopefully that's all it is.

It also could have jarred the front end out of alignment w/out any major damage. Hopefully that's all it is.

im afraid it's more than that. i will check that out soon im going to bring it down to a shop put on a lift and take a better look at it.

What kind of tires are you running? Sounds like it kicked out too easy just from some slush.
its a set of bfgoodrich traction and still meaty

Remember your rear control arms were already pretty bad... after that hit, it probably pushed them in father...

Sorry to hear that man, really sucks!

can't really tell from the pics, but it looks like the rear wheel might be fairly straight.
my next question...is the steering wheel straight?
if it is and the front wheel is that far out, then you most likely need an inner tie rod and possibly a lower control arm.

too much tire under under a lightish car = slip-n-slid. I learned a long time ago snow tires are usually cheaper than body work. Better yet use a narrower snow than you do for the summer tread depth for tread depth a narrow tire will cut threw snow better than a wider tire Enuff nagging:rolleyes: I hope you can get it fixed

thats crappyyy!!!!!!!!!!!!!! im switching to my snow tires this tomrrow.. just in time for the big storm on friday"i think im calling out" lol...i have a parts svt if you need parts im only about 20 min from you..

This really blows! didn't you just get that car back on the road? I think I'd be crying if it were my car. I hope you can get it back together. How's the rear end under the bumper cover area?

Just saw the pictures - that sucks! Hope it's truly all cosmetic/replaceable and you can get the car back on the road soon with a bit of suspension work.

quick update.
found the rear bumper and the fender at a junk yard fender in great condition the rear bumper had one small crack. the csvt is silver so i will have to paint them.
my sister bought me a set of new headlights for xmass(thanks andrew) so i don't have to get those
as for the suspension i'm going to change both front control arms, inner and outer tie rod's, sway bar link's all around and that is about it. ohh yeah and alignment

you can get some nice beefy looking front sway bar end links from CAP auto parts for $20 each, they are the greaseable type also ... you can get 2 bolt dorman lower control arms from rockauto for $36 each plus shipping, don't forget to use the discount code also. should be able to get the rest from rockauto at a good price also.

so does that mean the damage is only cosmetic minus the suspension?

what about rear control arms?

I have a SVT front bumper in primer that may be for sale if you need.

I have a SVT front bumper in primer that may be for sale if you need.

if that is from the 95 you just got that will not work, it isn't an SVT bumper. iirc its a micha bumper which is rare. if not it was spliced with a pre 98 bumper so it still will not match up.

you can get some nice beefy looking front sway bar end links from CAP auto parts for $20 each, they are the greaseable type also ... you can get 2 bolt dorman lower control arms from rockauto for $36 each plus shipping, don't forget to use the discount code also. should be able to get the rest from rockauto at a good price also.

so does that mean the damage is only cosmetic minus the suspension?

what about rear control arms?

thx for the info man
what's the discount code?
from that i seen underneath the car the rear control arms looked fine but having those bent trailing arms they mite not be. i will double check everything.

thx for the info man
what's the discount code?
from that i seen underneath the car the rear control arms looked fine but having those bent trailing arms they mite not be. i will double check everything.

i thought that the other day a ACP that greg mentioned the rear control arms where damaged. if they are bent that could have caused the easy loss of control that you had. I would make sure that everything is straight and get that alignment done. sounds like we are talking about the same thing anyway. make sure you change those before the alignment.

check the general discussion forum for the thread "rockauto discount code". you enter the code into the "how did you hear about us box" when you are in the shopping car and it takes some percentage off.

i thought that the other day a ACP that greg mentioned the rear control arms where damaged. if they are bent that could have caused the easy loss of control that you had. I would make sure that everything is straight and get that alignment done. sounds like we are talking about the same thing anyway. make sure you change those before the alignment.

check the general discussion forum for the thread "rockauto discount code". you enter the code into the "how did you hear about us box" when you are in the shopping car and it takes some percentage off.

he pointed out the the trailing arms are bent pretty bad, from having it on a flat bed. and yes i was thinking the same thing after i saw how bad the trailing arms looked especially left side witch is the side that i hit that slush with.
i will
thanks man

he pointed out the the trailing arms are bent pretty bad, from having it on a flat bed. and yes i was thinking the same thing after i saw how bad the trailing arms looked especially left side witch is the side that i hit that slush with.
i will
thanks man

Actually Greg pointed out the control arms are bent. I said we should check the trailing arms and bushings while we're at it.

Back