• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Wheel Bearing Help

con_svt_tour

New CEG'er
Are the wheel bearing pressed into the spindle? When replacing the wheel bearing, is this something that I would be able to do without a press if one is not needed?

it is pressed in. You can remove the hub and take it to a shop to be pressed (avoiding removal and replacement labor) or you can alternatively buy a new hub (which comes with a new bearing already in it) and simply remove and replace the hub.

Even off the car its something you'll need a press to do. I tried to make a ball joint press work one time and will tell you not to even try it.

it is pressed in. You can remove the hub and take it to a shop to be pressed (avoiding removal and replacement labor) or you can alternatively buy a new hub (which comes with a new bearing already in it) and simply remove and replace the hub.

Can you? IIRC, about 2 years ago I replaced my drivers side wheel bearing and when I ordered it from Bill J (again, IIRC, it was a while ago, might have been Steve Tousley I think is his name, whoever gives us the discount) he told me they did not sell it as one unit, and consequently I had to order them as separate pieces and press them myself. I work at Advance Auto so I'll try and check tomorrow or whenever I'm there next, but I'm pretty sure you can't buy the hub with the bearing already pressed in, I might be wrong though I'll have to check.

Feel free to check, but I'm positive you can (or could, then...) Bill J. and Steve Tousley BOTH give discounts, but they work from two different dealerships.

The rears can come as an assembly but the fronts dont normally. Its like that on a lot of fwd cars.

again.. I've ordered (4 or 5 times) the fronts as an assembly. I can't quote pricing or parts availability NOW, but I have done it many times.

the last I talked to bill J about it, he made it seem like you can order a fully loaded knuckle with hub and bearing. :shrug:

I just checked napa and they sell a kit consisting of a hub, snap ring, and bearing although I don't know if it is assembled or not.

I found out that I can order the HUB with bearings. Between 135.00 to 159.00. Does it matter if the Hub is with ABS or without ABS?

Yes. Though sometimes you can just take your old ABS ring off and hammer it on to the new hub if you want to do it cheaper.

Back