• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

friggen contours

CRGkart44

Is Cruising For A Bruising
My first gear syncros are bad...:censored::censored::censored::censored:!!!!!

i took it to a shop today to have them take a look at it... $2,600!!!!! Thats twice what i paid for the car... literally!
they said it is like $1900 labor because ford tried to slam everything in a small space and the have to take other stuff off to get to the trans.... friggen V6. Its driveable... just an annoyance. it only goes into first when the car is stopped.

So next spring i will be looking for another V6 sport.. or maybe an SVT

just start in 2nd till the trans goes. better off getting a refurb. trans. later and dealing with the problem then

yeah... its been like that since i bought it. so i have already gotten used to rolling stops in second and if i have to stop then ill throw it into 1st and its fine.

but i think im going to baby it untill spring and sell it. then buy another sport or maybe an SVT. unless i find a wicked good deal on an SVT, then sooner.

This may be dumb, but these cars dont have a season like bikes, where they are cheaper in on season and more expensive the next. or easier to find in one season?... if that makes sense..

you just have to keep an eye out. good deals on nice svt's come once in a blue moon. just keep checking craigslist often. i was very lucky with the silver car. it was on craigslist for 40 minutes before i picked it up. car had a built 3L with a built trans. over $2000 in brakes alone, koni suspension, the whole 9 yards. paid a mere 2900 for it. you'll get lucky. svt's are becoming cheaper and cheaper everyday.

then i shall have to try it...

blue, you mentioned something about "ford honey"? where would i get it and how much do i need? And is it the fluid or just an additive to the fluid hte enhance lubrication?

you can get it from the dealership and it is an additive...it's a friction modifier that doesn't necessarily increase lubrication, but increases friction inside the transmission to make it shift better.

then i shall have to try it...

blue, you mentioned something about "ford honey"? where would i get it and how much do i need? And is it the fluid or just an additive to the fluid hte enhance lubrication?
honey is dealer only about three quarts should do it I cant remember the ford part number but the is another thread on here about it try the search key on top and you should come up with it:)

iight... ill try that.

i think im just going to stick to two stroke single gear engines and just drive my racing kart around... they are much more simple and easier to diagnose and work on.

okay... that helps... i will def try that either this weekend or when i get back from school for the winter

and i would like to add.... i found my phone... someone texted me. i swear im like a chick sometimes when it comes to texting... gosh

okay... that helps... i will def try that either this weekend or when i get back from school for the winter

and i would like to add.... i found my phone... someone texted me. i swear im like a chick sometimes when it comes to texting... gosh

And in using the word "gosh" :laugh:

Good luck with the tranny. There is a t-green in the classifieds for something like 2500.

lol... that was the point.

and i gotta sell mine before i can even think about buying another. im also think of the focus SVT. i mean, thay have a 6spd and dont look too bad.

either use the Ford "honey" fluid or royal purple syncromax. do not add any type of friction modifier. also fyi the Ford fluid is ~$20 a quart. the syncromax is more like ~$10 iirc.

also the fluid isn't going to make a difference if the syncro is shot. also its odd that the 1st gear syncro went, normally is 2nd or 3rd. I would check that the shifter is installed tightly as the retaining bolts like to come loose, then check the shift cable ends and make sure they are good. cable might also need an adjustment. otherwise you will need to swap your mtx for a known good one or have it rebuilt.

ahh.... the shop said the syncros were shot just by driving it nothing else. said most likely someone was shifting too early and just wore them out? how ever the previous owner said it was a simple adjustment(could have easily been lying to sell it)

but the shifter does seem to have play in all gears left to right(thought it was just a contour thing) how would i go about checking the retaining bolts and/or the shift cables?

as for swaping the trans they said 2600 for syncros and clutch because they had to take something out to get to the trans and then use hand wrenches to get the trans out becasue the bolts were in a weird way... or some mumbo jumbo about how it takes him 6 times as long to get a contour trans out than any other car

ahh.... the shop said the syncros were shot just by driving it nothing else. said most likely someone was shifting too early and just wore them out? how ever the previous owner said it was a simple adjustment(could have easily been lying to sell it)

not that it isn't possible but I don't get how 1st would go out. most of the time you are stopped when engaging 1st.

but the shifter does seem to have play in all gears left to right(thought it was just a contour thing) how would i go about checking the retaining bolts and/or the shift cables?

pull up the shift boot and check the bolts.

as for swaping the trans they said 2600 for syncros and clutch because they had to take something out to get to the trans and then use hand wrenches to get the trans out becasue the bolts were in a weird way... or some mumbo jumbo about how it takes him 6 times as long to get a contour trans out than any other car

yeah the subframe needs to be dropped if the whole engine/trans isn't being pulled at the same time. so what if you have to turn a wrench by hand instead of using an impact, shouldn't take much longer. find another shop if that is the crap they are feeding you.

Back