• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

binding front wheel

minger

New CEG'er
Hi y'all.

Had a broken front coil spring on my 97 4cyclinder 'Tour. So I put in new sturts and springs, re did the bearings while there, new brakes, etc.

When I spin the hub by hand, both sides spin smooth. Got the passenger side tire on fine. When I put the driver's side tire on, the wheel binds. If I leave the lugs a touch loose, it is fine. BUt if I tighen the lug an 1/8 of a turn, the wheel binds tighter than _______(I'll let you fill in the blank).
Axle nut is TIGHT.

Suggestions?

Studs too short?

I am too tired to mess with it tonight.

Thanks

Eric

Really? I guess it makes sense. I guess I know what I am doing today. Yeah.

Me again. Wheel still binding. I pulled the steering knuckle, pressed out the bearing, put in a new one. Was extra careful, Got both snap rings on so I am confident that the bearing is seated at the proper depth. So I really don't think it is the bearing.

Could it be the 1/2 shaft? When I pulled the coil, the half-shaft slipped out of the tranny. I pushed it back in and it spins fine causing the other wheel to turn. Would a bad CV joint cause the binding or do I get to do yet another bearing job?

Passenger side spins fine. Driver's side is a smidge tighter but once I put the lug nuts on, again, tight as can be. Can't turn it by hand at all.

Thanks.

HELP!

Sounds like you got something wrong in caliper mounting or disc or studs. Tightening wheel won't affect hub/axle if hub turning free before wheel mounted. If studs were too short you wouldn't be able to get the lugs on. Sure you got caliper mounted right? Disc flat, bottomed and centered on hub as should be?

Me again. Wheel still binding. I pulled the steering knuckle, pressed out the bearing, put in a new one. Was extra careful, Got both snap rings on so I am confident that the bearing is seated at the proper depth. So I really don't think it is the bearing.

Could it be the 1/2 shaft? When I pulled the coil, the half-shaft slipped out of the tranny. I pushed it back in and it spins fine causing the other wheel to turn. Would a bad CV joint cause the binding or do I get to do yet another bearing job?

Passenger side spins fine. Driver's side is a smidge tighter but once I put the lug nuts on, again, tight as can be. Can't turn it by hand at all.

Thanks.

HELP!

bearing isnt pressed right.

That was awesome advice. Don't post so confidently and waste the OP's money unless you are 100% sure! :help:

While it wasn't the cause, it WAS good advice. It was a definite possibility, and was the FIRST one that was evident upon looking at the KNOWN evidence.

Don't be so quick to jump people.. we're not ALWAYS right. We like to be, but not always on the first try.

While it wasn't the cause, it WAS good advice. It was a definite possibility, and was the FIRST one that was evident upon looking at the KNOWN evidence.

Don't be so quick to jump people.. we're not ALWAYS right. We like to be, but not always on the first try.

...which is why you don't express certainty unless you are CERTAIN. It's just a lesson I'm trying to point out. I kinda feel bad for the OP, wasting the money on a new bearing. Yes, it may have seemed like I was speaking specifically to AliasJerk, but I'm trying to speak to the entire audience, and I apologize if it didn't seem that way.

I was certain, I had that issue on my 99, turned out to be a wheel bearing.

I was wrong, and I am man enough to admit it; jeez zorrex you are like a vulture.

I;'m not mad that it wasnt the bearing. I mean, heck, $30. Not the end of the world. How much for a shop to even look at it? The bearing being pressed in wrong made sense, so I went with that. Turned out not to be the problem. That is okay. That is part of trouble shooting. Sometimes you are wrong.

Letting the car rest over thanksgiving. Will give it a go maybe monday. Until them, happy Thanksgiving to y'all

Eric

Back