• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

O/D Light Issue, Transmission Seems Solid

In response to Anderslobo. I did your test where you unplug the trans, and put it into drive. It went forward. So I'm assuming my band is not broken. It is slipping. If I went in to replace the band, do you think that would resolve my issue, or is the band slipping being caused by another component?

make certain that you unplug the correct connector

make certain that you unplug the correct connector

I made a mistake in my earlier post. It is not the mlps connector you unplug, rather it is the round connector under the battery tray.

1. Unplug the ROUND connector under the battery tray, be certain to remove the clip first.

2. start up the car, put it into any forward gear (unplugging only allows 2nd and reverse to work)

3. If the car does not move forward, then it is highly likely that you have a broken band.

4. if your car moves but appears to be slipping, just drive it for a while, if the band is in the process of breaking it will eventually do just that. It most likely won't hurt the trans, heck, I bought my last cheap contour with a broken band, drove it for a year, and only replaced the band because I had a crosscountry trip to go on.

I did unplug the sensor under the battery tray. The round one. (with the clip) I started the car, and put in in drive. I definitely moved forward when I let off the brakes. I did seem to almost chug to do that, and the od light came on immediately, but it went forward. Really I want all of my gears to work.

So, If the band is ok then, it must be the solenoid pack??

Back