• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

my contour replacement

GS474

CEG'er
Image001.jpg

2004 ford ranger

il get some better pics up once i have a few days off to take pictures of it

buy my perents gut stuck in a lease on there 2005 dakota leasing sucks

Only sucks if you get sick of the vehicle after a few months. If you like the thing, but just don't want to buy it leasing is the way to go. You can drive it for a year or two and turn it back in for something else. You always have warranty with the vehicles you lease and your not attached to it for life. Drive it with no worries. Pretty sweet deal if thats your thing. Me on the other hand like to modify the hell out of things, so leasing wouldn't work so well in my case.

I was looking at a new 06 Ranger STX with the screaming yellow paint and ebony leather interior with the 4.0L V6 4x4. Nice truck, but to expensive for me to afford. Needs side skirts, roll pan and some nice exhaust tips but yea. Could make it into a mini-Lighting by putting a blower on it. I actually think SLP had a kit for the Ranger that they called the Thunderbolt. Here was the truck I was looking at...

stxfrontdriversideor1.jpg

stxrearflaresidegj3.jpg

rangerstxfrontye2.jpg

Last edited:
If you're looking at a new Ranger there are better small trucks on the market right now from Toyota and Nissan. Used is a different story since these things have no resale value at all, but the 2006 is pretty much the same truck I paid $1200 for last year. That got me a 1994 4.0L, 5speed, 4x4 XLT with power everything and a recently replaced transfer case, clutch, flywheel, front axles, brakes, battery, PS pump, water pump, heater core, AC, and a new stereo on top of that. Not to mention a better intake setup, and a dual exhaust installed by the previous owner. So basically the truck looked new, drove new, and cost as much as a TV.

one thing i just love about this truck when you come to a stopsign/stoplight you just use the brakes and it iddles so smoothe when its stoped and in gear with the a/c on

the contour when stopping you had to shift into neutrel and keep your food on the gas to keep it from shaking your teeth out

im not dissing the contour it got me through some rough times and if it had a v6 it probly wouldn't have done that
but im just saying the ranger is so much better in my opinon

oh when i press the throttle down a little bit to far the back tires spin
try that is a 4cyl auto contour

Last edited:
the contour when stopping you had to shift into neutrel and keep your food on the gas to keep it from shaking your teeth out

im not dissing the contour it got me through some rough times and if it had a v6 it probly wouldn't have done that
but im just saying the ranger is so much better in my opinon

Methinks you had some worn mounts. Zetec is a thrashy beast, but even with FocusSport mounts in the Focus my Zetec is still not that bad. You should drive a V6 Tour, they is smooth, I'm on my 2nd one now.

..oh when i press the throttle down a little bit to far the back tires spin
try that is a 4cyl auto contour

Congratulations on the new wheels. This Ford Ranger is a worthy replacement but...... you are comparing a 2L with a 3L. I spin the tires on my 2.5L all the time (if I'm not careful) when there is a little sand or water on the road when I take off from a traffic intersection or stop sign. ;)

Congrats! I remember it is a low mileage one too! Does it have the 3 & 4th doors? Like I said in your previous post, that is my main regret in buying this truck. 4L would be nice too, but probably wouldn't get the 17-19 mpg I get now.

Mine has a few more miles (109k) with the 3L Flex-fuel and 4wd it is a dog. I hate merging onto the highway at times, but I just get myself in a different frame-of-mind than driving the SVT.
SVT= I own merging
Ranger= just go with the flow. :)

The only way I can spin the tires is if it is wet. I diss it, but it kept me alive through the 6-8" of snow we just had over the ice. 4wd and 2 sandbags and no problems. Groudn clearence is great! But in TX you don't have to worry about that more than once every 10 years, right! :)

Its been reliable too, did a tune-up when I first got it, tinted the windows and now its just gas and oil changes.

You compare it to your Contour, I do the same. This is what makes me mad. a 99 Ranger with 109k on the clock, has less rattles and creaks then my 00 SVT with only 63k.

Can't wait to see some more pics!

just 2 doors more pictures will come but youll have to wait till friday when im off and the dealership is going to clean it friday to i might take it out to the place were i took theese
pics1.jpg

pics3.jpg

just be on the look out for a thread titled "pics of my new ranger"

Back