• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Throwout...

The throwout bearing is held on by only 3 bolts.

... and it sucks the trans will need to be pulled to replace it!

get the lube is all I can say.

you don't have to pull the engine but chances are a shop will do it that way ....

get the lube is all I can say.

you don't have to pull the engine but chances are a shop will do it that way ....
:cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry: I CANT afford this!! I am going to school in Cali in march and this POS has to get me there and survive while im there. I should just drive it over a cliff and pretend it fell. :laugh::laugh:

If the car is on a lift, they can drop the drivers side of the subframe and easily pull the tranny out. I wouldn't imagine it would cost *that* much... but then again, they usually go by the books, which have more novice-like billable hours.

To quantify my post, I paid $200 for the tranny shop to pull my tranny, store my car for 3 months (waiting for tranny from TH), and install the tranny. I should hope a slave replacement would be that cost or less.

always read/heard that the clutch is 9 hours of book time .... and it normally takes a shop longer. so look for ~1k with parts and all assuming $75 an hour labor.

I've got a brand new slave cylinder that I got with my SPEC Stage 3+

I've removed 6 transmissions from these cars.. 5 through the wheel well with the car on the ground and I pulled my motor and trans to install headers, flywheel and clutch. It can be done - pretty easily in fact. The pain in the ass part is getting the transmission out of the subframe.. which doesn't need to be done if you are replacing the slave cylinder. You can just pull the transmission off the motor and set it on the ground, spin it around, replace the slave and then toss it back on.

I actually had the motor this far in the car when I remembered I didn't tighten down the 3 bolts holding the bearing in...

th_DSCI0063.jpg

Imagine having an engine on a hoist with you holding onto the transmission while your buddy starts zipping out the bolts. Ok - the bolts are off, he says he will hold onto the motor while you yank the transmission off. Ok - got that done without tipping over the engine stand.. Damn this thing is heavy - tighten those bolts(which I forgot to do) Ok - the bolts are tight, now just pop the transmission back on... lol - this is like 5 minutes of holding onto this damn transmission and now you want me to just pop it back on? Hehe, after a few choice words the transmission was back on and bolted down. I think it only took about 20 minutes to remove the motor (that was 3/4 of the way in the car) yank the trans, tighten the bolts back down, put the trans back on, zip the bolts in and get the motor back where we started.. Whew - good help is always nice to have...

always read/heard that the clutch is 9 hours of book time .... and it normally takes a shop longer. so look for ~1k with parts and all assuming $75 an hour labor.

Yep, mine was 1K years ago with the clutch change. 1K out the door labor, TOB, clutch, pressure plate and a flywheel resurface.

Back