• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Odd problem.

ExDelayed

CEG'er
Granted this isnt in a Contour, it isnt even in a Ford, but I know we have some people in here that know what they are doing (or we did when I still had the Contour) so I figure I will post it and hope for the best.

Car is my `05 E500. There are 2 Kenwood 12s in the trunk. They are in a sealed box, each sub is seperated from the other and has 1.75cuft of airspace (within its specs). I know the subs are getting the juice but they dont really do much. Open the trunk and they shake the car from front to back. Close it and the bass goes away again. I unsnapped a piece of trim from the package tray and it helped somewhat but not near what they do when the trunk is open. Any idea why they hit when the trunk is open but not when it is closed?

I'm gonna go out on a limb and say the trunk is really well sealed, like it should be. I imagine you'd have to lose some of that sound dampner between the seat and trunk area.

Example was my buddy with his 92 Grand Marquis with two Boston 15" and two something-or-other-that-I-think-started-with-an-A-and-was-a-four-letter-all-caps-brand 10" subs.

Anyway, subs hit hard in the GM, but not THAT hard. We took the 15s and somehow squeezed the box into the trunk of an Isuzu Stylus (sedan still)... They hit so hard the front license plate rattled like most rear license plates. I couldn't sit in even the passenger seat with it turned up to a "reasonable" volume for too long cause I'd get a splitting headache.

BBUUTT... what I'm getting at is the GM was way more solid of a car and didn't have a trunk pass through, while the Stylus was a throwaway car with a pass through trunk (i.e. pretty much no restrictions).

Last edited:
My guess is one of the subs my be out of phase (one hooked up backwards). When you open the trunk they sound fine, but when you seal them inside the trunk they cancel eachother out because one is pushing out and the other is pushing in.

When we installed my buddy's system a wire inside the box rattled loose and I crossed one of the wires going to the box after fixing it and it affected both subs. Double check your wiring.

Sounds like a phasing problem... Get the ol battery out and see if the subs are going the same direction...

Back