• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

traNNy ready to poop? what are some warning signs

xpdude

CEG'er
kind of nursing it along untill i build enough $ to fix. discovered tranny oil around the trans and engine mate area + below vb pan area. po1744. what happens if not fixed right away? will it just quit period? slip, or not go in to gear, blow up the trans? any exp in driving in this condition?

It's an automatic. It can go with 50 different symptoms, you really can't predict with a great deal of certainty, especially now since it's PCM controlled. PCM will try to modify anything bad trans does, thus making failure more unpredictable. Drive it till it spits its' guts out about all you can do unless you prefer to preserve some useable parts. I always try to save parts because I will not use a scrapyard assembly, too many unknowns. Especially with the known problems that this trans has, you could very easily be buying more misery in short order. I want to take a little more time to rework myself, but it better last another 10 plus years like the last one. The FIRST time.

Sometimes they'll buck and grind and skip gears, and still work good 100k miles later. Other times, for no reason at all, they'll break suddenly, with no warning. Like mine... band snapped suddenly.

Yup, once I was sitting at a traffic light about 3:00 in the morning a few seconds after rolling to a stop. Suddenly there was a loud bang/thunk under car, even felt it through the floorboard. I felt like it came from trans, who knows? It never did it again, but I was paranoid of being stranded for the next couple weeks until I forgot about it. I've got a Focus zetec that when cold flares up/delays 2/3 shift the first time it does one, but ONLY at light/no load, if you gas up and load it solenoid/whatever gets off its' butt and does right. Been like that for 3 years. No other problems (YET) other than transfer idler gear beginning to make more and more rollover noise.

Back