• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

thanks and help(again)

95blufrdr

New CEG'er
Hi all !!!!
Well, here i am again. I just replaced the head gasket on my 95, an that is fine. Now for my next problem. I have read that the high reading on the temp guage is normal for the contour. I just don't like it. Upon reading previous posts, i found some that referred to a link that shows how to short out a black and white wire to make the fan think the a/c is on. It didn't help. is there any way to get this guage down to half way???? As allways, thanks in advance for any and all help.

Are you saying that after doing the moderndino fix, and with your radiator fan on all the time, the temperature gauge is still high? If it is, I would do a radiator pressure test to see if the radiator is clogged up.

Hi all !!!!
Well, here i am again. I just replaced the head gasket on my 95, an that is fine. Now for my next problem. I have read that the high reading on the temp guage is normal for the contour. I just don't like it. Upon reading previous posts, i found some that referred to a link that shows how to short out a black and white wire to make the fan think the a/c is on. It didn't help. is there any way to get this guage down to half way???? As allways, thanks in advance for any and all help.

So where does your guage usually reside?

I have seen where some folks have installed a lower T-stat to try to change this. Not a lot lower maybe 5 degrees.

So where does your guage usually reside?

I have seen where some folks have installed a lower T-stat to try to change this. Not a lot lower maybe 5 degrees.

Mine is on the l in normal most of the time. Water pump is about 6 months old, stat is new with lower temp. fan runs a lot, but not all the time. if it should, i must have done something wrong. I'll check it again.

Mine is on the l in normal most of the time. Water pump is about 6 months old, stat is new with lower temp. fan runs a lot, but not all the time. if it should, i must have done something wrong. I'll check it again.

I was thinking these things ran cool...

My gauge never gets past the 'O' in "Normal" even when driving accross country.

I was thinking these things ran cool...

My gauge never gets past the 'O' in "Normal" even when driving accross country.

Mine either, I usually might spike to just under 3/4 on the gauge, but it usually rights itself and comes to a normal up 1/2 reading on the temp gauge. I would check the thermostat and water pump. My brothers car had the blades break on his water pump, which effectively and greatly reduces your cars ability to cycle coolant. I also say check your thermostat, because if it's not opening up properly, it's preventing your car from running coolant. Like if it's opening up only at really high temps, instead of some lower high temps, could be causing your heat problem. I know my dad and brother took out his temp gauge and stuck it in boiling water to see if it was opening up right, but I'm sure that probably not how you should go about it. I would get a Hanes manual and see what it says to do. I can't remember how to check the water pump either... Sorry, but that is the two things I would look at, unless there is some sort of sensor that's in there that I don't know about, which would lead me to suggest checking fuses to make sure everything is powered correctly. Once again I'm not too sure on that, but like I said, I'd be looking into water pump and thermostat. Hope this helps you.

Mine usually resides around the "A". Most people in the know will tell you as long as it is in the NORMAL range it is just fine, and that is really correct. Many folks have tried to get it to remain lower with mixed results. Several things to try:

Fix the fan to run all the time. Obvious drawbacks to that are eventual problem with the fan. Fans don't need to run at higher road speeds.

Install lower temp T-stat. Drawback can be poorer gas mileage, these like to run hotter and are designed that way.

Install a new temp sending unit.

Replace the guage. I did that (with a new instrument cluster w/ tach), and it is still in the same place.

In posts I have read about this condition there doesn't seem to be one thing that will improve this issue. Sometimes doing all of the above has done nothing to change the needle. So take your pick.

My 2 cents

Last edited:
I don't know if this has helped mine at all, but my temp usually is always straight up and down, right in the middle. My uncle put some additive in my coolant that's suppose to help it stay at a normal temp easier, since it's winter though, I'm not really sure if it helped at all. It was red and in a medium bottle. Maybe once summer comes around maybe i'll be able to check that out, but usually mine is pretty good and dropping from 3/4 back to 1/2 on the gauge when it heats up. They do run hot, but hey what do you expect,(that's if you have an SVT that is) it's a high performance vehicle running on high octane and high RPMs. I run like 93,92,91 depending on where I get gas at, usually get the 93 though. I'm heavy on the gas too, tonight I put the pedal down starting at the front of the line at a stop light, getting ready to make a left turn, with a cavy and can on it. Let out 1st, then hammered, hit second and was still burning rubber, then the tires caught and I was gone, topped 3rd and 4th gears coming out at around 120mph, and then hit 5th and got off the at the exit so I could go get gas before leaving town. I knew I had that won before he was even pulled up to the light when I saw the headlights. It seems that happens a lot for no reason at that light too, I see no cars to race through like 8 freaking lights, and then at the last light to leave town, that left turn, some stupid car pulls up and thinks their fast. Anyways.... my engine was nice and warm when I stopped to get gas after that rpm top out.

Back