• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

MTX don't shift (NOT THE COMMON ISSUE)

KenshinSVT

New CEG'er
Hi Everyone!:laugh:

I have been here since a couple of months but never registered:rolleyes: , but now, my only hope is your help about this, sorry for bother you in this way in my first Thread.:shrug:

I searched in the old forum and all what I found was the same questions with no accurate answers:(, so I just want to know how resolve this, with no speculations, there are enough speculations in the old Forum.

The MTX of my CSVT has a lot of problems to shift into 1st, 2nd and reverse when the car is in neutral:nonono: . It doesn't matter if the car is cold, hot, or if is day or night, it happens in all circumstances. I tried pump several times the clutch, but there is no difference, it's like if I want to insert a stick into a solid wall. There are no sounds, no noises, it just don't shift. The only way that I can shift into 1st or 2nd, is turning OFF the car, shift into 1st, and then turning ON the car with the stick in 1st. Other way that I found was shift into 3rd, move the car a little and then shift quicly in to 2nd or 1st.

When the car is running, there are no issues about shifting, just in neutral with the car stopped.

I already changed the fluid with Mobil 1 Synthetic Mercon, but I readed here that the ATF +3 +4 from chrysler work better because the friction modifier ammount, so I changed the oil again with Valvoline ATF +4 Full synthetic yesterday. There were no difference at all. (I didn't buy MTF because im in mexico, and I couldn't find any MTF with the GL-4 specs, just GL-5)

I read in the old forums that could be the pressure plate, the slave cylinder, the forks, well a lot of "...that could solve the issue" posts, but I couldn't find at least one popst saying "this resolved my issue". So, please I beg for your help, I'm already in my knees!!!:help:

Thnxs 4 any help.
Kenshin

The clutch is not fully releasing. With a little luck it is just from air in the hydraulic clutch linkage system. Try flushing the fluid so you have fresh fluid and can fully bleed out any air.

The clutch fluid shares the brake master cylinder resevoir. The slave cylinder bleed port is on top of the bell housing. You will need to remove the intake air tube between the air filter box and the throttle body for access.

Suck out as much brake fluid from the brake master cylinder as you can with a turkey baster and add fresh fluid.

Have an assistant pump the clutch pedal about six or eight times and while the pedal is down open the bleed port. Repeat as many times as needed until the fluid coming out is as pristine as the new fluid from the bottle.

Flush the brakes while you are there. Refill the master after the clutch and after each wheel.

Did you check the state of the bushings at the end of your shift cables? If it's worn or missing it wil cause the same effect. Might want to add your city and state to profile. A CEGer would probably meet to check it out for you.

My car did that when I bought it, until the time my new clutch was installed. It was so annoying.

Trying to parallel park the car in traffic and all you can do is sit there and not get into gear. I shut off the car, put it in gear, then started it. :mad:

Thnxs everyone for your info!!! I'm gonna to bleed the brake/clutch and check the bushings of the shifter cables this weekend. I hope this solve the MTX issue. I will inform the results the same weekend.

If anybody has another suggestion I will really apprecciate it! Thnxs a lot.

P.S. Im in Mexicali, BC in Mexico. It's a border city with Calexico, CA, if anybody is near and have a little time free, I will apprecciate help :laugh: . THNXS again

Yea the guy right above you. LOL! RRT SVT. I don't know how much help he'll be from some of his posts though. LOL!

I checked the bushings, they are fine. I bleeded the complete system just as you guys told me. There is a little difference, but the problem stills there. Now, just happens when the engine is warm. I mean, if I turn ON the car in the morning, I can drive it normally, but at the 15 min of driving (less time if I drive the car Hard:cool:) the problem appears.

I noticed something else. I was driving at 60mph in a highway, then I turn the shift to NEUTRAL, and leave the car move by itselfs. At the 53mph, when I tried to shift to 5th again to accelerate, I COULD NOT SHIFT!!! I could shift into 5th until the car speed falled to the 45Mph. The shift stick just didn't want to enter in the 5th gear, just like the 1st and 2nd gear in a STOP or a LIGHT.

Hope that this info helps you to help me:shrug:. THNXS again

I checked the bushings, they are fine. I bleeded the complete system just as you guys told me. There is a little difference, but the problem stills there. Now, just happens when the engine is warm. I mean, if I turn ON the car in the morning, I can drive it normally, but at the 15 min of driving (less time if I drive the car Hard:cool:) the problem appears.

I noticed something else. I was driving at 60mph in a highway, then I turn the shift to NEUTRAL, and leave the car move by itselfs. At the 53mph, when I tried to shift to 5th again to accelerate, I COULD NOT SHIFT!!! I could shift into 5th until the car speed falled to the 45Mph. The shift stick just didn't want to enter in the 5th gear, just like the 1st and 2nd gear in a STOP or a LIGHT.

Hope that this info helps you to help me:shrug:. THNXS again

Yeah, seems like the pressure plate may not be disengaging all the way either due to the clutch slave or the pressureplate itself. Maybe try bleeding it again because an intermittent issue that is heat related may be from air in the line still.

Most definitely you are experiencing a clutch that isn't fully releasing. If it is a hydraulic problem or a worn clutch I cannot say for certain, but I would lean toward a hydraulic problem.

If bleening the clutch doesn't resolve the problem (and it isn't uncommon to need to do it move than once) you will need to go further. You can try replacing the clutch master, but they don't give much trouble. It is more likely to be the slave and for that you will need to pull the trans.

Back